luka

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed, and equality before the law.[1][2][3] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support limited government, individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), capitalism (free markets), democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.[4][5][6][7][8][9][10] Yellow is the political colour most commonly associated with liberalism.[11][12]

Liberalism became a distinct movement in the Age of Enlightenment, when it became popular among Western philosophers and economists. Liberalism sought to replace the norms of hereditary privilege, state religion, absolute monarchy, the divine right of kings and traditional conservatism with representative democracy and the rule of law. Liberals also ended mercantilist policies, royal monopolies and other barriers to trade, instead promoting free markets.[13] Philosopher John Locke is often credited with founding liberalism as a distinct tradition, based on the social contract, arguing that each man has a natural right to life, liberty and property and governments must not violate these rights.[14] While the British liberal tradition has emphasized expanding democracy, French liberalism has emphasized rejecting authoritarianism and is linked to nation-building.[15]

luka

On corpses "things you overheard" thread I posted all of vimothys tweets that contained the word liberal. Strongly recommend looking over them.

droid

It's true actually. I was just promoting free markets and secularism with John the other day.

version

The climate change debate is having the same issues. You get people who just don't believe in it being positioned as on equal footing to scientists actively studying it who do and if you point out the discrepancy then the right start shouting about free speech and liberals and the left being authoritarian.

luka

Vimothy Retweeted

Tradical
@NoTrueScotist
·
Feb 15, 2018
Liberals vehemently affirm the Idea of Progress while simultaneously denying the historically contingent character of their moral beliefs.

Vimothy Retweeted

Père Naphta
@RedMaistre
·
May 4
Liberalism is assuming that everyone is like you until they turn out to not be, at which point they are devils.

Vimothy
@_Vimothy_
"Liberal bigotry is that wonderful state of mind in which one is compelled to call a bigot anyone who stands at odds with it, which is to say, it is bigotry made sublime. Or: the typical liberal is so great a bigot that he feels magnanimous as such." (Deogolwulf)

Leo

no-nothing climate deniers who are full of shit have just as much right to speak about climate issues as the scientists who study it for a living do. that doesn't mean we have to pay attention to the no-nothings and give them equal footing. they are free to speak, everyone else is free to ignore that speech.

version

no-nothing climate deniers who are full of shit have just as much right to speak about climate issues as the scientists who study it for a living do. that doesn't mean we have to pay attention to the no-nothings and give them equal footing. they are free to speak, everyone else is free to ignore that speech.

I think the way they're presented is important though. If you have a climate denier with no scientific background debating a scientist arguing that climate change exists but you present them as though they're both equally knowledgeable on the subject then it impacts the way in which their respective arguments are received.

version

The BBC don't have to give a platform to someone like Nigel Lawson but they do and they have a huge audience and are held in high regard so just having him on lends credibility to his position whether or not the position itself has any of its own.

Leo

that would be like me debating the intricacies of cricket strategy with a league commissioner. I know fuck all about cricket, why would anyone pay attention to or care what I say? it would become evident on short order that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and I would be dismissed as a waste of time on the topic. that doesn't mean to wouldn't have the right to talk about.

(side note: I know so little about cricket that I don't even know if they have a league commissioner)

version

It clearly doesn't work that way though, does it? There are millions of people who take seriously and believe people with no clue all the time.

sadmanbarty

My stepdad is a social worker in Barking and Dagenham where all the other social workers are African and they tried to make them wear rainbow lanyards and all the social workers were like fuck off are you mad

my english teacher once tried to make our class watch a documentary about homosexuality in the black community. she thought it'd be like michelle pfeifer in that coolio film enligtening everyone, but it was pandemonium. there was a montage of blokes kissing in the intro of the documentary and the class went like that video when they captured gaddaffi. i was worried for my teacher's safety.

luka

“The rootless transnational elite knows that a tidal wave of white identity is coming.” Vimothy.

Leo

It clearly doesn't work that way though, does it? There are millions of people who take seriously and believe people with no clue all the time.

there have always been people who believed con men and snake oil salesmen, and truth has largely prevailed (with some bumps in the road along the way). have faith, version!

sadmanbarty

LD50:

DZARGEVVMAAM8Ti.jpg

I keep imaging poor old joseph k dressed like kenny from south park holding an overly-wordy placard next to it while 6 disgruntled protesters shout that he's a nazi.