Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morphosis

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I wanted to post that on the joker thread oops
    It works in both.

neglected thread this is. deserves a lot more.

I'll paste the connected stuff I was on about in some of the other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I find communicating online feels like attaining several extra spider like limbs, like Dr. Octopus or the Boiler Geezer in Spirited Away. You've got words but you're also able to pull in images, video, audio and all sorts to make up for the lack of body language and tone of voice. It's like your mouth sealing itself shut as a bunch of antennas and tendrils sprout from your head.
    spider like limbs, tentacles and antennas. Something gets sucked in or rendered obsolete and several mechanical/digital ones come sprouting and flailing out the other side. A human Swiss army knife or hydra.
    I keep picturing smart phones as some sort of gateway which opens out on the other side into an increasingly elaborate hall of mirrors. It's like the knot at the centre of a bow tie, everything narrows to that point then opens out again on the other side of it, only it's becoming increasingly fragmented and distorted and sprawling on that other side.
    tumblr_inline_myp2spVcyQ1sohk3w.gif

5. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I keep picturing smart phones as some sort of gateway which opens out on the other side into an increasingly elaborate hall of mirrors. It's like the knot at the centre of a bow tie, everything narrows to that point then opens out again on the other side of it, only it's becoming increasingly fragmented and distorted and sprawling on that other side.
    I'd never actually seen the sleeve art for Clear until now, but this is it. This is dematerialisation. It's fucking perfect. All the things I've been waffling on about for weeks re: falling through the mirror and fragmenting on the other side, smartphones etc.
    11502361_800_800.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

k punks understanding of cybernetics

how interconnectivity allows systems comprised of millions of individual entities all with their own agency to act as a single unit.

price signals in economics.

I'm sure I was reading something about his idea of cybernetics the other day, can't remember if someone recently posted it or whether it was in an old thread or something I found elsewhere.

Ah. It was something luka quoted last year in the Deleuze thread.

But let's dispense with one of the lazy, hazy assumptions we're all prone to fall into whenever we hear the word 'cybernetics'. Cybernetics does not only refer to technical machines. Wiener call it the study of control and communication in animals and machines (btw: why leave out plants?). Its principal discovery is 'feedback' - a system's capacity to reflect and act upon its own performance. So, as Luke and I were discussing the other day, the whole point of cybernetics is that nothing is 'more cybernetic' than anything else. There are only systems with more or less feedback, and diffferent types of feedback (k+, k-, k0.) So if the word 'cybernetics' calls up only gleaming steel you have the wrong association.

If cyborgianism is oriented towards a maintenance and reproduction of the organism and its homeostatic control circuitries, Cyberpunk or k-punk (one of the motivations for the 'k' btw is the origin of the word 'cyber' in the Greek 'kuber') flees towards a cybernetics of organic disassembly. Again, let's be clear here. You don't disassemble the human organism by replacing its parts with metal or silicon components. (That's why the term 'cyborg' - or 'cybernetic organism' is misleadingly redundant. All organisms are already cybernetic). What matters is the overall organization of the parts. Do the parts operate as hierarchically organized and functionally-specified 'organs' within a cybernegatively construed interiority or do they operate as deterritorialized potentials pulling from/ towards the Outside?

The two questions from the Ratheanu seance in Gravity's Rainbow keep rattling round my head, both in relation to this and in general.

“You must ask two questions. First, what is the real nature of synthesis? And then: what is the real nature of control?"

The internet. A developing extension of the human organism or a developing organism in its own right? Bowie once jokingly referred to it as an "alien life form" and I sometimes feel there was some truth in that, Carpenter's Thing being dug out of the ice and gradually assimilating everything on the planet.
    There's something odd about the fragment having a richer context than the whole. You take a studio tune and it's suspended in space, take a section of it from radio and it's got a life of its own, an appendage severed from the body developing into an organism in its own right.

The cybernetics stuff in K-Punk comes, I'm fairly sure, from Bateson and from Bateson's influence on Deleuze and Guattari. The concept also influenced his reading of Spinoza. The K in K Punk stands first and foremost for cyber.

"The word cybernetics comes from Greek κυβερνητική (kybernētikḗ), meaning "governance", i.e., all that are pertinent to κυβερνάω (kybernáō), the latter meaning "to steer, navigate or govern", hence κυβέρνησις (kybérnēsis), meaning "government", is the government while κυβερνήτης (kybernḗtēs) is the governor or "helmperson" of the "ship""
    Wikipedia

"In accord with the negative character of cybernetic explanation, "information" is quantified in negative terms. An event or object such as the letter K in a given position in the text of a message might have been any other of the limited set of twenty-six letters in the English language. The actual letter excludes (i.e eliminates by restraint) twenty-five alternatives."

Bateson. Cybernetic Explanation.
    Last edited by luka; 06-10-2019 at 09:13 AM.

One of the possible readings of fragmentation is that the parts have ceased to communicate with one another, or at least are no longer able to form an emergent order. They don't come together into the great crystal. Society itself starts the break down. The personality is no longer coherent. Mark used to quote Jamesons's observation that postmodern culture is schizophrenic as it cannot form a coherent image of time.

"The basic levels of experience that motivate art are related to those of the objective world from which they recoil. The unsolved antagonisms of reality return in artworks as immanent problems of form. This, not the insertion of objective elements, defines the relation of art to society."

Adorno. Aesthetic Theory.
    Last edited by luka; 06-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    I typed in 'jewish octopus' to get an image of the nazi propaganda with these giant jewish octopuses with its tentacles all over the world, but rather aptly for this thread this came up:

https://images.app.goo.gl/PUberaTtFpBKqG8i6
    Danny Casolaro. One of those conspiracy stories that exerts a real and potent, sinister fascination.

V for Vendetta is another answer to luka's question about films which have penetrated the culture. The V mask was everywhere for a while.
    The Archaic Smile.

Dissensus has been good last little while. Perfect level of pretension (high) and nice playgroup cooperation happy fun together.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: