Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Morphosis

Creation as opposed to boring critique.

companies have "branches" as if they're all one organism (a tree) with many branches

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

in v for vendetta the various components of government are all parts of one body "mouth", "finger", etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    “with the rapid progress of communication technology, every one will have a “brain wave receiver” in his ear, which conveys directly and exactly what other people think about him and vice versa. What I think will be known by all the people. There is no more individual consciousness, only the will of mankind as a whole”

Noboru Kawazoe
    the terminology of "the web" speaks to this notion of sinister interconnectivity. we're all flies entangled within the interconnected threads of our impending doom.

"Anansi (/əˈnɑːnsi/ ə-NAHN-see) is an Akan folktale character. He often takes the shape of a spider and is considered to be the spirit of all knowledge of stories. Taking the role of trickster."

the Harlequin thread is about these modern musical vectors of the trickster archetype. my schtick about that is that they’re people whose minds have been fractured and shattered by the the constant, schizophrenic stream of other peoples thoughts that are broadcast to them via social media.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

This is something I read last night. I dunno that I agree with all of it, but it made me stop and think for a little while.

You know how people often times get upset when one of their interests becomes "mainstream"? It is as if the more well-known an interest becomes the more it is demystified. And the more it is demystified the less social and monetary value it contains, leaving only intrinsic value. It threatens the economic and social place of the individual. People understand what it takes to do it and talent is distributed more widely. Everything else becomes...almost a supply and demand calculation.

To some degree this same thing seems to be happening to life itself where people are projecting an identity on social media and the result is a great banalizing of life. To have even just the belief that they are a unique, necessary, autonomous, and contributing component in what little community they have they become an echo.

It's like modernity requires a kind of hyper involvement, a presence, in a process of reproduction. And this results in a kind of disconnection in the individual (anomie?). I think that's what is going on to some degree with identity. Social media has mass produced identity to such a degree that it removes all human autonomy. Or - in the event autonomy is itself illusory - it at the very least removes the sufficient doubt necessary for us to assume we have autonomy (the belief is likely all that really matters there anyway). It erases the subject.

So in some sense anomie starts to seem almost like a defense mechanism. I speculate what a schizoid break from this would look like...invisibility? A radical un-presence?

"Anansi (/əˈnɑːnsi/ ə-NAHN-see) is an Akan folktale character. He often takes the shape of a spider and is considered to be the spirit of all knowledge of stories. Taking the role of trickster."

the Harlequin thread is about these modern musical vectors of the trickster archetype. my schtick about that is that they’re people whose minds have been fractured and shattered by the the constant, schizophrenic stream of other peoples thoughts that are broadcast to them via social media.
    thats a good one when did you make that one up?

my schtick about that is that they’re people whose minds have been fractured and shattered by the the constant, schizophrenic stream of other peoples thoughts that are broadcast to them via social media.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    thats a good one when did you make that one up?
    i was listening to terry g and though he was an african trickster. i looked up african tricksters and found that one.

when it said that not only was it a trickster, but also looks like a spider and knows everything i thought it'd be perfect for this thread.

Not the Anansi thing the other thing

In primary school it seemed like every other week a 'story teller' would come in and tell us an Anansi story.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

the japanese fella? i found that when i did my transhumanist dancehall essay.

Along with what we've discussed re: The Joker, another major villain/anti-hero in popular culture at the moment is Loki. Another 'trickster' and also a shapeshifter.

This

people whose minds have been fractured and shattered by the the constant, schizophrenic stream of other peoples thoughts that are broadcast to them via social media.

Not hear you do that routine before

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    This

people whose minds have been fractured and shattered by the the constant, schizophrenic stream of other peoples thoughts that are broadcast to them via social media.

Not hear you do that routine before
    i pull genius out my ass. i'm just gifted

If you run with the idea that the internet is an organism in its own right then it starts to look like an example of a parasite...

In evolutionary biology, parasitism is a relationship between species, where one organism, the parasite, lives on or in another organism, the host, causing it some harm, and is adapted structurally to this way of life.
    ... or an invasive species.

An invasive species is a species that is not native to a specific location (an introduced species), and that has a tendency to spread to a degree believed to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health.