Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    My Dad liked it. The main thing he said was he felt it was the first depiction of The Joker on screen where you wouldn't want to be him at any point. Every other iteration having some sort of flair or charm or sense that he's ultimately in control whereas apparently this one has none of that.
    That's correct. Even the Ledger-Joker, the most psychotic one so far, had this evil-flamboyance. While the Phoenix-Joker is an utterly dismal and miserable figure.
    Last edited by firefinga; 16-10-2019 at 10:52 PM.

When did Russell Brand become a YouTuber?

Around the time he went to America, met David Lynch and joined the TM movement.

Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Joker fans, it sounds like the Bronx really doesn't want you to come to those stairs

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...-stairs-101819

The thing about them using that tune is I can't hear it and not think "Doctor Whooo! Doctor who!".

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I find it a bit troubling that such a gloomy and violent movie draws those high numbers of viewers. It's no "Taxi Driver 2019" though, at all.
    I just watched last night and liked it. And this is probably one of things I liked the most, how relentlessly dismal the whole film was and at the same time how it's become a big blockbuster in the comic book genre no less. Even if it's a bit of a pastiche film and not massively deep I think films like this need this oxygen in mainstream cinema, there's no catharsis or misery relating to what allot of people can personally identify with. It's the unpleasantness of being confronted with issues that are lurking underneath, somewhere people don't feel comfortable dwelling on when they go out to a movie on a Friday night, it's not a place Hollywood usually goes. The idea of good and evil is a cancer imo.

I was fortunate not to know who the director was before watching or his comments about comedy being ruined by 'woke' culture, definitely would have biased my opinions while watching and probably still has a bit after reading it.

I thought the cinema scene was a bit close to the bone and not in a good way, totally unnecessary, and the whole thing of him being picked as a leader of a movement a bit clumsy and not fleshed out enough but I thought a nod to populism, which is fueled by nihilistic leaders not a nihilistic populace.
    Last edited by muser; 21-10-2019 at 03:17 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

I have no idea whether this is legit or not, but protestors in Beirut are apparently painting their faces like Joker. There's even a guy with a painted face wearing a V for Vendetta mask over the top and someone with a painted V mask.

One protester said she had come to Sunday’s protest with a Joker face because it was “perfect” for the occasion. “The reason we painted our faces is because we related to the character in the movie. Because before he painted his face he was just living that miserable life. Nobody cared about him, nobody would listen to him. He’s upset, he’s angry, and it just drove him to madness and that’s what’s happening [in Lebanon],” she said.
    Another protester, from Bourj El-Barajneh in Beirut’s southern suburbs, said the societal situation in Joker resembled the Lebanese system: “Only the daughters and sons and friends of the leaders are taken care of and given priority. Unlike a person like me who has nothing to do with that.”
    https://wired.me/culture/lebanon-pro...mpaign=organic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Have you seen it yet version?
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Nah. I don't go to the cinema. I'll give it a go once it's online though.

One of my friends says it's the best film ever made. Watched it twice already

Almost everyone I've spoken to who's seen it loved it. I was the only one with a problem with it.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

i just saw it, one of the most boring movies i've ever saw. one thing that i didn't understand, why not call the movie "the clown from new york" because this doesn't really have anything to do with batman does it? not that it would have made the film any better though. couldn't stand phoenix and his ridiculous expressions, it's meant to be realistic and grimey but it's just laughable. really don't get what is brilliant about this.

The idea of watching it has got less and less appealing the longer I've left it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: