Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019)

i don't have the attention span to watch films.

when i had insomnia i watched loads of arty films to try to sleep and saw that only god forgive one.

The opening credits of Enter the Void are better than a lot of the film tbh.

i'm going to start a gang called the neon gang.

it's just me and version at the moment. don't know what our gang activities will include. hanging it in our tree house. playing knock down ginger.

#NEONGANG

Stumbled across this whilst looking into that Iain Sinclair book on The Ripper:

“I mean that certain fictions, chiefly Conan Doyle, Stevenson, but many others also, laid out a template that was more powerful than any local documentary account - the presences that they created, or "figures" if you prefer it, like Rabbi Loew's Golem, became too much and too fast to be contained within the conventional limits of that fiction. They got out into the stream of time, the ether; they escaped into the labyrinth. They achieved an independent existence. The writers were mediums; they articulated, they gave a shape to some pattern of energy that was already present. They got in on the curve of time, so that by writing, by holding off the inhibiting reflex of the rational mind, they were able to propose a text that was prophetic.”

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Only thing im gonna contribute to this thread and the follow up tweet to this is just as on point: https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1167921408308965380

Burroughs believing in the magical world doesnt surprise me cause literally America was built on myths of the power of magic interlocking with some combination of religious zelatory, anti-intellectualism,paranoia and racism, the burned over district brought the Mormons,Shakers & Jehovah's Witnesses i forget the name of one of the sects but they boasted how only 3 of their members had graduated college, its hardwired into the fabric of the damn country

also if i remember right it was Under my thumb Meredith Hunter was killed to at Altamont not Sympathy for the devil, i get why people would say its that one cause of the mystique and kinda larger than life signifying quality of it and the "hells angels" n that whereas Under my thumb is just this mean song and doesnt have the same grip
    Last edited by WebEschatology; 03-09-2019 at 06:31 AM.

I don't think you have to "break your back" to suggest that a film about an alienated bloke with mental health issues who becomes a clown/terrorist might speak to the present moment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Stumbled across this whilst looking into that Iain Sinclair book on The Ripper:

I mean that certain fictions, chiefly Conan Doyle, Stevenson, but many others also, laid out a template that was more powerful than any local documentary account - the presences that they created, or "figures" if you prefer it, like Rabbi Loew's Golem, became too much and too fast to be contained within the conventional limits of that fiction. They got out into the stream of time, the ether; they escaped into the labyrinth. They achieved an independent existence. The writers were mediums; they articulated, they gave a shape to some pattern of energy that was already present. They got in on the curve of time, so that by writing, by holding off the inhibiting reflex of the rational mind, they were able to propose a text that was prophetic.
    i'd lap up a book like that. just read the preview on amazon and it's talking about stomach ulcers. its wicked.

what's that kind of writing called?

Keep meaning to read this thread, it looks interesting.

Does seem to be something about the Joker character that sticks a needle in a nerve of our modern society. And there's a definite cursed, evil miasmic aura around that character, provoking IRL violence, attracting mad fuckers like a FUCKING TRACTOR BEAM YOU MORON CORPSEY.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ker-screenings
    Last edited by Corpsey; 27-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    One of my old proper sick schizo mates always used to post why so serious shit on Facebook
    Ah you've covered this

The Dark Knight is a film that I would generally consider so much more successful venerated than it "deserved" to be.

But the fact is it really tapped into something - primarily Ledger. They tried doing that again with The Dark Knight Rises and failed.

The incoherence of it all - which seems an aesthetic flaw - might actually have contributed to this power. I remember seeing it at the cinema and it was so fucking loud and all over the place I couldn't understand what people were saying half the time. If you start analysing the "logic" of the "philosophical" conversations they have its all hokum. The Joker makes that all make sense, though. Because it's like his nihilism is controlling the whole narrative.

TDK feels like a particularly unhinged Michael Mann film.

Except with incompetently directed action sequences.

I can't decide whether this is almost willing something to happen and overhyping it or a necessary precaution given what happened in Aurora.

never understood that thing where actors get high praise for how much they can freak their way out of real human behavior. maximalism is easy, it's like the loudness war for acting. tweaking and fine-tuning is where the real skill lies.