baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The first time I ever met baboon he spent the entire time agonising about whether or not Django Unchained was a deplorably racist film only, right at the end of the night, to provide the punchline: he hadn't watched it!

It was hilarious!

You are of course exaggerating massively for effect (quelle surprise), but there is also a scintilla of truth in some of this (more surprising).

Do I really need to watch another Tarantino film to know exactly what it's going to be like? The answer is clearly no, Luka, and to suggest otherwise is absurd.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Bizarrely, this is also something you do often on these pages. I thought we agreed that the idea of having to watch something to have a vociferous opinion on it is bullshit. Traitor.

Last edited:

luka

Bizarrely, this is also something you do often on these pages. I thought we agreed that the idea of having to watch something to have a vociferous opinion on it is bullshit. Traitor.

I said it was funny! I didn't say it was a mortal sin!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luka is the king of dismissing things without actually watching/reading/listening to them. (Although annoyingly he's usually STILL right.)

Listened to a podcast earlier which pointed out that there is really no reason why this should be connected with Batman at all. There's some batman tie in stuff but on the whole you could make this movie without any of that stuff and it wouldn't change it much at all. (Except it wouldn't have made so much money.)

Also I agree with podcast host B that DeNeiro is horribly miscast for his role.

rubberdingyrapids

Batman is pretty boring, as a character.

I dunno if I'm just being contrarian but Batman Vs Superman seemed VISUALLY much better than Nolan's movies.

Zac snyder is weirdly underrated
The DK nolan films were the dullest looking and most lumbering batman films ever made
Batman vs superman was much more exciting

sadmanbarty

superman's the anthropomorphisation of america's innocence.

the superman of the popular imagination isn't the rage-of-the-immigrant superman of the 30's. he's not the grim one who dealt with wife beaters and corrupt politicians.

it's the superman of the 50's. having pies with ma and pa kent. a nuclear family superman with supergirl and his pet dog crypto. there's an underlying calm. it's a superman of prosperity and peace. a superpower (geopolitically, not in terms of lazer eyes and flying).

it's what's so poignant about him now. he's something that's lost. an innocence and a calm. a domestic bliss.

superman after watergate, vietnam, rodney king, 9/11, iraq, blm, trump, etc. can only be a bitter reminder of an ostensibly gentler, simpler time.

all of which of course speaks to something we go through in our own lives. he was a child. the world presented to us by superman in the 50's was of childish wonderment. we've lost that and thus superman will always speak that arrested development which wishes we'd never grown up.

the only really succesful superman stories of the last few decades have reflected this; they're either intentionally harking back to that era or they're literally killing superman.

firefinga

I watched it today and was well entertained. Very gloomy and dark, very late 2010s. The clown-rioting was a bit ridiculous though. Nobody goes rioting wearing clown-masks. However, I find it a bit troubling that such a gloomy and violent movie draws those high numbers of viewers. It's no "Taxi Driver 2019" though, at all.

version

My Dad liked it. The main thing he said was he felt it was the first depiction of The Joker on screen where you wouldn't want to be him at any point. Every other iteration having some sort of flair or charm or sense that he's ultimately in control whereas apparently this one has none of that.

firefinga

My Dad liked it. The main thing he said was he felt it was the first depiction of The Joker on screen where you wouldn't want to be him at any point. Every other iteration having some sort of flair or charm or sense that he's ultimately in control whereas apparently this one has none of that.

That's correct. Even the Ledger-Joker, the most psychotic one so far, had this evil-flamboyance. While the Phoenix-Joker is an utterly dismal and miserable figure.

Last edited:

version

The thing about them using that tune is I can't hear it and not think "Doctor Whooo! Doctor who!".