version

I think they're pretty good and Ledger's Joker is really good but I prefer the Tim Burton one with Jack Nicholson. I like that Michael Keaton is even more of a weirdo than The Joker.

sadmanbarty

the schumacker ones really need to be reevaluated.

amazing lightng, costumes, set designs and music. easily some of the most visually aesthetically potent films of all time.

sadmanbarty

tommy lee jones two face vs that one from the nolan films.

one looks incredible, the other looks like a meatball.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
can't be stressed enough how utterly dull those nolan batman films are though.

those nolan movies are so bad. like you watch this movie and you just think well batman, you're just a rich cunt with a black cape. can't stop whining to his servant. who has a servant these days? he'd be a better superhero if he'd just gave away his money. i hate him. batman & robin is the only good one because with that one they clearly understood how boring batman really is and they turn it into a ridiculous over the top costume comedy.

version

Batman Forever was my fav as a kid. It's definitely the best looking one. I love all the Riddler stuff, the neon gang, the bit where he drops through the ceiling in slow-mo and the jelly cape.

sadmanbarty

i don't have the attention span to watch films.

when i had insomnia i watched loads of arty films to try to sleep and saw that only god forgive one.

sadmanbarty

i'm going to start a gang called the neon gang.

it's just me and version at the moment. don't know what our gang activities will include. hanging it in our tree house. playing knock down ginger.

version

Stumbled across this whilst looking into that Iain Sinclair book on The Ripper:

“I mean that certain fictions, chiefly Conan Doyle, Stevenson, but many others also, laid out a template that was more powerful than any local documentary account - the presences that they created, or "figures" if you prefer it, like Rabbi Loew's Golem, became too much and too fast to be contained within the conventional limits of that fiction. They got out into the stream of time, the ether; they escaped into the labyrinth. They achieved an independent existence. The writers were mediums; they articulated, they gave a shape to some pattern of energy that was already present. They got in on the curve of time, so that by writing, by holding off the inhibiting reflex of the rational mind, they were able to propose a text that was prophetic.”

forclosure

Only thing im gonna contribute to this thread and the follow up tweet to this is just as on point:
Burroughs believing in the magical world doesnt surprise me cause literally America was built on myths of the power of magic interlocking with some combination of religious zelatory, anti-intellectualism,paranoia and racism, the burned over district brought the Mormons,Shakers & Jehovah's Witnesses i forget the name of one of the sects but they boasted how only 3 of their members had graduated college, its hardwired into the fabric of the damn country

also if i remember right it was Under my thumb Meredith Hunter was killed to at Altamont not Sympathy for the devil, i get why people would say its that one cause of the mystique and kinda larger than life signifying quality of it and the "hells angels" n that whereas Under my thumb is just this mean song and doesnt have the same grip

Last edited:

version

I don't think you have to "break your back" to suggest that a film about an alienated bloke with mental health issues who becomes a clown/terrorist might speak to the present moment.

sadmanbarty

Stumbled across this whilst looking into that Iain Sinclair book on The Ripper:

“I mean that certain fictions, chiefly Conan Doyle, Stevenson, but many others also, laid out a template that was more powerful than any local documentary account - the presences that they created, or "figures" if you prefer it, like Rabbi Loew's Golem, became too much and too fast to be contained within the conventional limits of that fiction. They got out into the stream of time, the ether; they escaped into the labyrinth. They achieved an independent existence. The writers were mediums; they articulated, they gave a shape to some pattern of energy that was already present. They got in on the curve of time, so that by writing, by holding off the inhibiting reflex of the rational mind, they were able to propose a text that was prophetic.”

i'd lap up a book like that. just read the preview on amazon and it's talking about stomach ulcers. its wicked.

what's that kind of writing called?