Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Dark Knight is a film that I would generally consider so much more successful venerated than it "deserved" to be.

But the fact is it really tapped into something - primarily Ledger. They tried doing that again with The Dark Knight Rises and failed.

The incoherence of it all - which seems an aesthetic flaw - might actually have contributed to this power. I remember seeing it at the cinema and it was so fucking loud and all over the place I couldn't understand what people were saying half the time. If you start analysing the "logic" of the "philosophical" conversations they have its all hokum. The Joker makes that all make sense, though. Because it's like his nihilism is controlling the whole narrative.

entertainment

never understood that thing where actors get high praise for how much they can freak their way out of real human behavior. maximalism is easy, it's like the loudness war for acting. tweaking and fine-tuning is where the real skill lies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
TBF is subtlety what you're after from someone playing a fiendish clown fighting a man dressed as bat?

I really believed that clown was sincere

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Which reminds me - the best performance in a Batman movie

This is treating source material with the respect it deserves

entertainment

Oh unless you're talking about JOQUAIN straining every muscle in his face to look like a lunatic

Stuff like this, yeah. Not saying he played it wrong, but between the hysterical blasts of laughter and sinister leering, there was nothing got me onboard with the Oscar talk.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think it's also just comic book nerds/movie studios demanding not just complete commercial domination but also artistic respect.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it can be right for the role but that doesn't mean it deserves as much praise as (or more praise than) a subtly nuanced performance that was right in another role in another film. I dunno, I'm really unsure these days what the aim of acting is; to be realistic or to entertain? Or something else perhaps. As I get older I find myself more and more unsure about this sort of thing. One thing I do know is that the Dark Knight rises is utter fucking bollocks from start to finish cos it fails in every way it could be measured. I remember seeing that in the cinema with DannyL and wondering why I'd bothered (no reflection on him).

entertainment

You have to let the awkward exposition wash over you in order to enjoy any Nolan movie imo.Wwhat you get when you wanna make "smart" action movies but are desperate to reach the big audience.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think it's also just comic book nerds/movie studios demanding not just complete commercial domination but also artistic respect.

OTOH the Oscars already give awards to middlebrow slush movies so actually it would be preferable for the Avengers to win best picture than Green Book or whatever.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that what acting is has changed hugely over the years from Elizabethan times when they just kinda proclaimed at the audience. And I don't even know what they did in Ancient Greek times. Anyway, my feeling is that the general trend has been from just shouting towards something approaching realism - apart from a few auteurs doing deliberately weird stuff (eg Heart of Glass as you mentioned the other day or some Fassbinder or whatever) - but that's a process that has been happening in the world. I'm just saying that I'm personally less and less sure of what I want from actors - different things at different times I guess.

version

Ah, fair enough. I think in general the two poles now are acting and method acting; people seem to feel that an actor putting themselves through physical hardship is great acting in its own right, e.g. DiCaprio in The Revenant, Christian Bale's fluctuating weight.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah exactly what I'm on about. I'm not sure it's that great... then again I can't categorically say it's bad either.

comelately

Wild Horses
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...v-B5YA1_VY2CZMTPSUECK5TQ9d_csbNhYnDjViZLVPZT2

"In a recent "Ask Me Anything" online chat on Reddit, 42-year-old Hawke was asked about actors he admired, and one of the first he mentioned was Cage. He even cited the appropriately extreme Cage fan page called One True God.

"I'm kind of obsessed with Nic Cage," Hawke admitted on Wednesday. "He's the only actor since Marlon Brando that's actually done anything new with the art of acting; he's successfully taken us away from an obsession with naturalism into a kind of presentation style of acting that I imagine was popular with the old troubadours.""