Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamification

bitcoin mining is minecraft for adults

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

the postcode lottery

gta prophetized the car/bicycle/step-sharing economy that i loathe so much. you can act a cunt in the game and just take any transport unit whenever and wherever you want and when you're done with them you just dump them anywhere you want, in a park, in the middle of the street, in front of my door. who cares?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

There was always that strange sensation of stepping outside after hours on GTA and feeling you were still in the game space. As if you could just open the door of any car and get in.

uber's interface is like a game

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I'm in Canary Wharf where there's a tap to refill your water bottle. You activate a reward for this good behaviour. Last time I was at the beach they had a similar system to encourage you to pick up litter
    what is the reward?

193505_1_640.jpg

"you are driving too fast"

actually i like this one. if you're under the speed limit it shows you a happy smiley but i think the sad one is more hilarious. they're giving me the wrong rewards.

the loo in the pub with a fake fly in it. control your joystick well and aim good!

or is it the other way around: were games created to closely emulate real life?

There are a few things being discussed here. First of all the switch from a mass media driven manufacture of consent to a app/smartphone driven incentivisation of behaviour. That was the main thrust of the thread. Other things which have been touched on have been game as metaphor, and behaviours learned from games crossing over into real life. There's also Pokemon style use of the real world as game space.

There are a few things being discussed here. First of all the switch from a mass media driven manufacture of consent to a app/smartphone driven incentivisation of behaviour. That was the main thrust of the thread. Other things which have been touched on have been game as metaphor, and behaviours learned from games crossing over into real life. There's also Pokemon style use of the real world as game space.
    hand in hand with monetization - cf this negected thread http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13249

the common thread through most of which is the use of game-like reward structures and their sense of psychological distance as tools of coercion and compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    their sense of psychological distance as tools of coercion and compliance.
    this is part of a broader trend towards the weaponisation of fantasy.

luke's folkways thread about the- often politically contentious0 mythologising of an ethnic past, deepfakes, russian disinformation, the use of jewish conspiracy theories in middle eastern politics, etc.

tinder