Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What Shiels said on the thread about self-discipline has stuck with me.

He's right really - you have to tap those reward mechanism centres in a productive way. Get addicted to doing things that 'improve' you.

Gamification could be the way.

luka

its what gamification means. its what work is trying to capitalise on. its what business is trying to capitalise on. its what behavioural science is trying to develop. its the whole point of the thread.

• Haha
Reactions: sus
Gamification
What Shiels said on the thread about self-discipline has stuck with me.

He's right really - you have to tap those reward mechanism centres in a productive way. Get addicted to doing things that 'improve' you.

Gamification could be the way.

The main thing is I think it's more about environment than mindset, knowledge or force of will. If you want to give energy and attention to things that matter to you it sometimes helps if you have stake in the every day practice, when its bound up in your nervous system and pulse and groin, so you're getting social feedback, support, validation and feel the weight of expectation from others. there's stuff to lose and gain, rather than some solitary and idealistic quest... plug into a network of people who care about the same stuff, learn, compete, get jealous etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lots of apps already developed working on that assumption

DuoLingo is a good example of an app that makes learning fun.

I'm not sure how effective it is because it evidently wasn't fun enough to make me persist with it.

But i imagine if I desperately needed to learn basic French Duolingo would be just the ticket.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Last Dance was a good insight into the mind of a man for whom EVERYTHING has to be competitive.

Maybe we have an idea of self-discipline being this ascetic character thing because we don't talk about some of the pleasures we get from status and competency or martyrdom as much

luka

Gamification

The main thing is I think it's more about environment than mindset, knowledge or force of will. If you want to give energy and attention to things that matter to you it sometimes helps if you have stake in the every day practice, when its bound up in your nervous system and pulse and groin, so you're getting social feedback, support, validation and feel the weight of expectation from others. there's stuff to lose and gain, rather than some solitary and idealistic quest... plug into a network of people who care about the same stuff, learn, compete, get jealous etc.

this is why we all happily write 10,000 words a day on dissensus but wilt at the idea of writing an essay

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You'd like to think, wouldn't you, that you'd be above being affected by praise or dispraise, but I'm massively affected by both.

Yeah. And some people can find the motivation for 10,000 words or practice for hours on end because they have experienced, or have a feel for, unshattered-dream about, the pay off and the validation.. and some get pleasure from being seen to be the person who puts the hours in. A lot of people can deny these social aspects, feel shame about them. It's partly this noble ideal of individuality, doing it cos i'm into it, just doing it for me

luka

alccholi
DuoLingo is a good example of an app that makes learning fun.

I'm not sure how effective it is because it evidently wasn't fun enough to make me persist with it.

But i imagine if I desperately needed to learn basic French Duolingo would be just the ticket.

not as fun as call of duty

Yeah that's a common and corny self help idea but it does work. Studies on people who exercise with mates ten times more likely to finish some regime or whatever. I tried to do something like this with a mate who was interested in something I was making. He'd call me every week checking on progress. Third week I'd just ignore the call. The key thing being that he wasn't doing something I was interested in. If he was, and it was different or better or more interesting than my thing, then we have momentum

version

Because we believe in it, though, polling tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, particularly on social media – where each new poll is eagerly shared by supporters of whichever party appears to be surging this week. Like older forms of divination, the numbers give form to our desires and fears. They authorise our beliefs, legitimise our candidates and generate little waves of excitement. They allow us to blow attention bubbles around issues or parties, boosting the ratings further, and spawning yet another squee of excitement and feverish sharing of numbers. In moments of crisis, this can even allow small parties to game the system and generate attention and support as if from nowhere. If it weren’t for this, it is difficult to see how the Brexit party, a corporation with no members and a relatively small budget, could have won the European elections in May.

catalog

The best thing we can all hope for, to get a proper factory reset that so many of us are crying out for, is for the internet to break for 6 months