Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010s...

Quote Originally Posted by dert View Post
    Looking forward to it!
    i was going to do a thing saying:

1) around the turn of the millennium rap, the hardcore continuum and dancehall all eschewed acoustic-derived sound pallets and turned to the synthetic sound worlds of souther rap, garage rap and ward 21 to reflect the computer-future presented by the dot com bubble.

2) a similar convergence happened at the dawn of the 2010's with lex luger, daseca/not nice and pinero beats/skippz productions all converging on this tacky orchestral wagnarian rapture. this grit and aggression spoke to the captured the pandemonium and concrete of the zeitgeist (occupy wall street, the london riots, the arab spring, etc.

3) a wave of apathy engulfed music with the failures of the arab spring, austerity, the opiate crisis, etc. radically transformed these musics. 21 savage, johnny cinco, uk drill, chronic law all reflecting this kind of sedate dispondance

4) dematarialisation had loads of impacts. one was a musical formlessness which reflected the intangible nature of graphic interfaces

5) similarly was an increase in sonic and lyrical allusions to apparitions. this reflects the way in which we interact with discorporate sentience on social media.

6) raps rhtyhmic fragmentation is another and it speaks to our collective cognitions being recallibrated by twitter, snapchat, vine, etc. to crave rapid fire snippets of novel information

7) 'the harlequin' as luke put it. the spate of impish, persona-shifting, possessed artists in the us and jamaica. i'd post that reflects the internet's malleable forms of identity (parody accounts, online trolls, deepfakes, bots, etc).

8) the music of the 2010's is part of broader cultural trend to present a more human, infantile and pastoral notion of the future than previous decades. this has come out of our fear of environmental collapse and the burgeoning transhuman age. where technology previously removed the human element in music (drum machines, synthesizers, sequencers, samplers), autotune is about imbuing technology with humanity. the pastoral stuff can be found in mumble rap's folk revivalism and fourth world instrumentals; it's the death of "keeping it real" and the re-situation of rap from "the streets" to pastoral pixie worlds.

9) the 2010's had a slow start, but the last few years have been some of the most future-facing since jungle. 2017 was when mumble rap, imp dancehall and uk drill all peaked and will go down as one of the greatest years in the history of music.

but i though that was all a bit longwinded and would go over too much ground covered elsewhere.

what i will do though is turn this into something like my london list thread or the sex thread. i'll be very self-indulgent and post loads of songs i like and adorn them with my profound and whimsical prose.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    7) 'the harlequin' as luke put it. the spate of impish, persona-shifting, possessed artists in the us and jamaica. i'd post that reflects the internet's malleable forms of identity (parody accounts, online trolls, deepfakes, bots, etc).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

the best moment of the 2010's was rory stewart's gums in this:

the eyebrow bob was a great touch on his part.

as was the bit where he noticed he was too gummy so closed his mouth, then realised that was to obvious and opens it again, only for the video to end and freeze frame him at his most alien looking.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    the 2010's had a slow start, but the last few years have been some of the most future-facing since jungle. 2017 was when mumble rap, imp dancehall and uk drill all peaked and will go down as one of the greatest years in the history of music.
    what 5 songs epitomize this peak? just roughly

I'm sure you have something bigger in mind, just curious if a really short, distilled list is possible

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    what 5 songs epitomize this peak? just roughly
    imp dancehall:

a bit fragmented rap, but just overall cyborgishness

this beginning of this one hopefully gives you a good idea of the rhythmic dynamism you can get with the fragmented rap

this one's that fragmentation taken to its extreme

this one gives you a good idea of drill drums, bass, piano and mccing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

these were life hugely important to my understanding of what i've coined "frag rap" (as in "fragmented rap") during 2017 itself , but have lost their magic since a bit because i played them to death:

interesting list, thanks. i'll give it a listen.

a few listens i meant
    Last edited by mvuent; 08-10-2019 at 04:21 AM.

the live autotune's great, a whole other kettle of fish from the studio stuff. neon pyrotechnics. very cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    There's some strange warping of time going on this decade. The decade itself feels as though it's gone incredibly slowly, but music, politics and so on seem to have moved at breakneck pace.
    music was frozen till about 2015 and then out of nowhere every artist in america and jamaica just lost there minds and launched through the star gate.

i'd argue the difference between rap of the last few years is as different from the rap that preceded it as rock music if from rock and roll or house was from disco.

my mum and her boyfriend on two separate occasions heard me listening to it and asked "what genre's this?". it doesn't even process to them as rap. all it needs is a change of taxonomy and people would start evaluating it as being as radical as it is.

it's to be seen if it really is as much of a paradigm shift as i'm feeling it is.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I'm struggling to really remember the early part of the decade. I remember specific records, films and whatnot, but I can't recall how it felt, what the mood was like, how I felt. I'd say the tail end has been characterised by a pervasive sense of unease and anxiety, everything just feels off, like the ground could go from beneath your feet at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I'm struggling to really remember the early part of the decade. I remember specific records, films and whatnot, but I can't recall how it felt, what the mood was like, how I felt. I'd say the tail end has been characterised by a pervasive sense of unease and anxiety, everything just feels off, like the ground could go from beneath your feet at any moment.
    It was when Leicester won the premier league we knew our old reality had been discontinued and the future would be radical uncertainty

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: