Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010s...

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It was when Leicester won the premier league we knew our old reality had been discontinued and the future would be radical uncertainty
    Tinfoilists attribute it to the Large Hadron Collider being switched on a decade ago, which opened a portal into Another Concern that has since infiltrated bog standard reality with emissaries from the harlequin cosmos.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Doesn't seem much room for debate there

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Tinfoilists attribute it to the Large Hadron Collider being switched on a decade ago, which opened a portal into Another Concern that has since infiltrated bog standard reality with emissaries from the harlequin cosmos.
    without a shadow of a doubt the single greatest that ever has been or ever will be written on dissensus.

the jinn are an inter-dimensional alien life form who came to earth to teach humanity islamic mathematics.

they then retreated awaiting the moment we were technologically advanced enough to show us the secrets of the fractal consciousness.

that time has come...

the-quran-explains-allah_s-creation-of-jinn-photo-u1.jpg

maxresdefault3.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

young thug does all the ATLien stuff. future does esco terrestrial. lots of them; takeoff, lil uzi. they love all that.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It was when Leicester won the premier league we knew our old reality had been discontinued and the future would be radical uncertainty
    leiscester winning foreshadowed isis managing to steel loads of territory.

transexuals taking over rap music.

trump winning.

brexit winning.

corbyn winning the leadership.

the decade of the underdog.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I'm struggling to really remember the early part of the decade. I remember specific records, films and whatnot, but I can't recall how it felt, what the mood was like, how I felt. I'd say the tail end has been characterised by a pervasive sense of unease and anxiety, everything just feels off, like the ground could go from beneath your feet at any moment.
    I'm terrible at making those kinds of sweeping, large-scale observations but still...

to me it felt like the early 2010s were characterized aesthetically and maybe even culturally by tumblr. which is very much related to the whole “cocoon” idea. tumblr was obviously very associated with “SJW” culture but it still had a much more escapist, sensual (for lack of a better word), introverted quality than twitter (which arguably became culturally central in the second half of the 2010s). digging through obscure art/images/music to arrive at your creative output. consequently there was “genrewave”, odd future, a$ap rocky, etc. stuff with distinct aesthetics that seemed very unconnected to anything in reality. then after 2016 a more (as you say) uneasy, unromantic tone emerged. vaporware became alt right “fashwave,” etc.

you can even see this shift in artists that on the surface don’t have anything to do with tumblr. compare the press release for lee gamble’s latest album that was discussed in another thread with “diversions 1994-1996”—which was inspired by rediscovering obscure jungle tunes on youtube, rather than “feelings of helplessness in the age of trump and brexit” or whatever. I mean looks at how he talks in this interview and then the more recent one on resident advisor.
    Last edited by mvuent; 08-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

That's a good observation. I remember becoming aware of tumblrs and being blown away by the visual sophistication. Aesthetic. All those old computer game graphics etc. I suppose you lot in your twenties were still kids at the start of this decade.

The concept of tumblr had an interesting effect as aesthetics became a system for projecting identity. Visual impressions became inextricably tied up in personality traits, trends, politics, social status. Style has always been about social positioning, but now it the whole process was very explicit.

Irony quickly became a dominant principle. Perhaps a response to all the implications and connotations invading your individual creative expression. An evasive maneuvre, that became an aesthetic in itself in the form of kitsch.

Maybe the whole nature of tumblr just accelerated the dialectic dynamic that has always been present between art and kitsch.

Anyways, suddenly the cool kids started doing stuff like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1rDqKCn3Kp/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

One thing I do remember is staying up with my mate watching the election results come in when Clegg and Cameron formed the coalition and thinking 'ffs'.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    Anyways, suddenly the cool kids started doing stuff like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1rDqKCn3Kp/
    The David Rudnick aesthetic.

https://davidrudnick.org/

You're about what, 32 version?

Old enough to have been into dubstep.