Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's Pop Poignance

i like the extremely wide latitude of this prompt!
    ancients of view.

"i wish i could explain your blues"

"shut up and make it count, your concentration paramount..."

countless mornings like this in adolescence. a reticence to face the social world.

sister song to the previous: "so i, sit at home and watch tv, a... programme i want toooo..."

a systemic derangement of glyphic language centres. obsessive focus on its singular moving object. the gnostic revelation of the real powerlessness of the prison operators.

ha-mabul.

"i realise a miracle is due."
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post:

Despite offering this stuff up in opposition to dance music early house is actually the perfection of this, it's quintessence. Particularly your love by frankie knuckles. I've always been fascinated by this frozen grief encoded into so much '80s music. It's technology yes, but also hard not to read as the shadow of aids.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Good point

Something about moving into the future with all those not of this world digital sounds enmeshed with that naked emotion. Primitive by today's standards but perhaps more human. I guess the fact that a lot of the instruments were still being played in, unquantized, adds to that.
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 10-09-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

There's distance encoded into '80s music, an essential part of its complex of emotions. The polish of a Vandross, the camp theatrics of Prince and Kate Bush, the funny voices of Bryne, cameo, Rick James, the frigidity of synth pop, the emotional constipation of Blue Nile. Something blocked from expression. Sone trauma present by it's absence.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

i think this is the last time Madonna did poignant - it was world domination hereafter

Luka is right about context - I was going to post Your Funny Uncle by Pet Shop Boys which seems to be the epitome of both poignant frozen grief

With Aaliyah much later on you have a voice which is a register of unspoken trauma. Frozen.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    Pet Shop Boys
    god, how could I have forgotten this...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    Well if we're going down that route, we surely need some:

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

And even....

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I've always been fascinated by this frozen grief encoded into so much '80s music. It's technology yes, but also hard not to read as the shadow of aids.
    spot on, excellent observation.

intimacy becomes inherently melancholic.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

maybe also a numbing nurturing quality to it; the music is so divorced from the zeitgeist.

it's the purification of 70's singer songwriter wallowing. with those fleetwood mac visuals you're getting this yearning towards something vaguely hippyish and pastoral.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

does somebody know when colour film became the standard in music video's? or similarly, when did colour televisions became the norm? i have the feeling a surprising number of these songs have video clips shot in black and white or have black and white scenes and i think they are deliberate aesthetic choices. then what does this say?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    does somebody know when colour film became the standard in music video's? or similarly, when did colour televisions became the norm? i have the feeling a surprising number of these songs have video clips shot in black and white or have black and white scenes and i think they are deliberate aesthetic choices. then what does this say?
    I read something like that at the start of the 70s, 75 % of television sets in British were still black and white. That startled me because my memories of glam artists on Top of the Pops are in colour but i would have seen TOTP in black and white. I must have retroactively filled in the colour through later seeing the TV clips on VHS collections, or from magazine images.

In our house we didn't get a colour TV until the Eighties. That was a bit on the late side, but there were still quite a few people who had black and white sets even then. i seem to remember my granny getting a color TV in the late 70s and it was a treat to go round their and watch the Muppets in colour.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post: