thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm willing to apologise for my cuntish behaviour but then you need to be less condescending to other people. It might not seem that way to you but it does to some of us.

sadmanbarty

this debacle is very similar to one me and third have previously experienced.

like patty, i felt hounded by third and didn't understand why. luke explained to me that i was coming across as dismissive and condescending towards third after which i changed how i spoke to him and things have been much better ever since.

so my advice would be let tempers die down a little a bit, kiss and make up and then patty can be careful not to come across as condescending (however inadvertently it may happen) and third can be wary not to show much of a preoccupation with patty.

hope that's helpful.

sadmanbarty

literally everything you want exists for the kids into music. literally all of it. the identification with the performer, the authenticity etc. you look at the beyonce fandom and it's exactly that. now you're going to hypothetically tell me thats a simulacrum. but it isn't for those kids. it's like beatles fans who said aaliyya wasn't real. what's the difference? What is it?

this as it happens is a valuable point and one that under different circumstances would have probably opened up a great discussion. it just goes to show that if we (myself very much included) can present our ideas in a less confrontational manner, dissensus would ultimately be more rewarding and dynamic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah I've deleted my posts. I was far too hot tempered and aggravated and patty didn't deserve me taking it out on him. still i resent the whole idea of me being overly self-aware. I'm from the eastand the backpacker traveller mentality just rubs me up the wrong way. they never see the real darkness in that region because they're not in the no. and i don't mean spooky darkside darkness in music, i mean fucking grim shit like police burning down peoples villages whilst then telling them that their men are patriarchal and traffic in honour killings. nasty stuff. believe it or not there are concepts bigger than a few westerners being enlightened in 2019.

I'm a bitter cunt but I've told people that we grew up with different emotions to maybe even patty and luke grew up with. the far right are not a threat for us, but *if they ever do become so* they will be coming for the muzzies first, not the weird british eccentric who is infatuated with this region. Don't forget that Enoch Powell was actually a reputable classicist and spoke arabic and Urdu fluently. Not that I'm lumping anyone on this forum in with old Idris but we have to get some perspective here.

*ignoring that I'm not even a muzzy theologically that never matters to them.*

And also, [people are just not allowed to have hope. That doesn't bar them from music. you might find it incomprehensible but death has been a great motivator for astounding works of art like that of Xenakis.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Trying to think what I said that made me seem condescending. It's weird because I have nothing but respect for this place and all who participate. Sometimes you guys like to play rough and provoke each other so sometimes I play along. Its not my nature, but it can be pretty funny and even provoke good convo

Was this about me saying dissensus has an rnb fetish? If so, was the Jane's addiction video not enough to let you know it was supposed to be tongue in cheek? I happen to love a lot of rnb, Janet Jackson included.

Or was it when I said that Mike track WebEschatology posted in the listen to this thread was lazy? I don't like a lot of the new generation of rnb and hiphop and I know I've made that clear but it's not like I keep going on about it. And that was my genuine feeling about that track which I further explained when questioned. Most of the time I stay out of discussions where I feel I have nothing constructive to contribute.

Or was it when I said snoop looked silly in comparison to all the boogie and disco that had preceded him in a soultrane documentary? Again that was a genuine feeling which actually meant a lot because I grew up as a huge doggystyle fan and still am to this day but in the context of what was being said when we were trying to define soul felt really relevant from my pov. The played instruments vs a guy singing bow wow wow yippy yo over a single loop. Buuut I was listening to that album the other day and I still totally love it. Sometimes it's possible to hold two povs which contradict each other. I stand by what I felt during the doc and I also still love snoop, but it did seem silly during that montage. Maybe if I'd watched a jazz doc which led up to boogie it'd be the same thing but with boogie in the crosshairs

I know there have been other examples, but honestly, on a forum named dissensus, is it really so offensive to occasionally express disdain for things the majority of the people here seem to like?

We share more in common than not imo. I just assume that you're all pretty thick skinned because you can be pretty harsh with each other. Maybe because I'm not as well established it comes across as dickish, but for the record I love this place warts and all. And that includes you, third, ya cunt ;p

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

to be honest patty, i've never felt you were being condescending (though there might have been conversations i missed). it was a word that third used in a now-deleted post and it reminded me of my ruckuses with him.

version

re emotion and numbness = isn't a lot of today's Top 40 pop hyper-emotional?

I'd argue that that can come across as or become numbing. The former because it can seem artificial, the latter because you can become desensitised over time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Or was it when I said snoop looked silly in comparison to all the boogie and disco that had preceded him in a soultrane documentary? Again that was a genuine feeling which actually meant a lot because I grew up as a huge doggystyle fan and still am to this day but in the context of what was being said when we were trying to define soul felt really relevant from my pov. The played instruments vs a guy singing bow wow wow yippy yo over a single loop. Buuut I was listening to that album the other day and I still totally love it. Sometimes it's possible to hold two povs which contradict each other. I stand by what I felt during the doc and I also still love snoop, but it did seem silly during that montage. Maybe if I'd watched a jazz doc which led up to boogie it'd be the same thing but with boogie in the crosshairs

I know there have been other examples, but honestly, on a forum named dissensus, is it really so offensive to occasionally express disdain for things the majority of the people here seem to like?

We share more in common than not imo. I just assume that you're all pretty thick skinned because you can be pretty harsh with each other. Maybe because I'm not as well established it comes across as dickish, but for the record I love this place warts and all. And that includes you, third, ya cunt ;p

nah fair enough I'm quite the cunt no question about it. :)

re the snoop thing, i just don't see why soul has to be the only arbiter of musical merit. why can't soulless music be valid? and i don't mean gabba or free jazz, i mean, actual thoughtless assembly line grade carley rae jepsen throwaway crap. I mean, I don't like Carley Rae Jepsen, but not because she's fake, precisely because she's not fake enough.I really like happy hardcore in this regard, non-ironically. I mean we all drink shite captain morgans industrial grade rum, it's part of being modern.

As for the soul thing also, i mean, you're talking to a middle easterner, we literally invented the microtonal techniques and bluenote singing that you find in a lot of afro-american music, if you listen to Maghrebi music it's not even distinguishable from middle eastern stuff most times, apart from some rhythmic inflections apparent to a seasoned ear. same with Algerian rai. and actually I remember you not really liking the autotune stuff in morocco but isn't that like a cyborg machine soul in the clinton mould?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Agreed on all points except the auto tune. That something I don't think I'm ever coming round on no matter the context lol

luka

The 80s mourning it's lost humanity

The 90s gleefully accelerating into post human future

luka

A world of difference. And when you listen to these 1991 records try to remember just how antiquated 1991 hip hop sounds. It's like listening to Dixieland or something.

luka

Now I stand by that comment however this shows what a massive massive impact the bomb squad had on the UK

luka

Chuck Ds drill sergent t dad belongs to the distant past, some 1960s military academy but the bomb squad Re bang up to date with how huge and ballistic the drum sounds are