Thread: 80's Pop Poignance

Friday 13th, too
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

The 80s mourning it's lost humanity

The 90s gleefully accelerating into post human future

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Leo

A world of difference. And when you listen to these 1991 records try to remember just how antiquated 1991 hip hop sounds. It's like listening to Dixieland or something.

Now I stand by that comment however this shows what a massive massive impact the bomb squad had on the UK

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Chuck Ds drill sergent t dad belongs to the distant past, some 1960s military academy but the bomb squad Re bang up to date with how huge and ballistic the drum sounds are

That breakbeat engineering is whT would go on to define the future

A transformation of the human soul. Gestating through the 80s. A time of goodbyes. Goodbye human world. Where we are going you won't be able to follow. Goodbye those fond little emotions, those sweetnesses and sadnesses we enjoyed, the fragility of all those things, goodbye, the human cannot follow us here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Why this thread has struck a chord is by identifying a transition point, a letting go, in our ongoing transformation. The collective transformation of humanity into something other. That we can track through its phase shifts In music.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Tango In The Night is the best Fleetwood Mac album.
    Obviously true but also indicates how much Rock has lost by not having more stevies with control, who can modulate the voice and make it yield things, rock vocalists just blaring it out at one lumpen frequency, ON

The 80s was the last time you could have a love song. The last hurrah of romance. So also, presumably, the last time it was possible to fall in love without knowing it is a programmed illusion

Your sex robot is waiting.

The phrase 'the machinic unconscious' keeps coming into my head. I don't know what he meNt by it, but I'm starting to glimpse a way I could make it useful to me

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Now I stand by that comment however this shows what a massive massive impact the bomb squad had on the UK

I think a lot of the tracks on Fear of a Black Planet sounds very rave-y. Was the influence all US -> UK at that point, do you reckon? Or was some of it in the other direction?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Massive religious impact on the uk. "Bass for your face London" and huge influence on the hardcore sound.

Oh for sure. I was just wondering if any US hip-hop producers were, in turn, listening to UK hardcore in a big way ca. 1990.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you