Wagner Rap Greatest Hits

sadmanbarty

there was an achne-ridden ginger kid i used to know who miraculously wound up being accepted as a roadman by all the black kids (he often delighted in showing off his knife wounds just to prove it).

my memories of this music all revolve around the fact that he'd stolen these pair of beats headphones and he'd always make me wear them and he'd play all this music through them at 50x the volume any reasonable human could listen to it.

i suppose that's what this music is though; masculinity as self-flagellation. steroid users with muscles so big they've got stretch marks. being to proud to tap out after being in a headlock. working class english body horror sexuality. fracturing your wrist punching a wall because you can't cry.

it's fucking wicked music though.

sadmanbarty

england and jamaica had their own brands of the same music:

but they're lacking that prosperity theology element. it's not the music of kings whereas the maybach music stuff is.

sadmanbarty

would have been a very interesting case study in our feminine pressure thread. it's arguably the only hyper-masculine music that isn't also- if you'll excuse the clumsy language- autistic.

sadmanbarty

it's also amazing how earthy and concrete it all was compared to what rap would become in the space of a few years. worlds apart. sonically, socially, psychologically.

masicka's probably an attempt to reassert that older framework in the age of tommy lee sparta et al.

sadmanbarty

the last hoorah of the physical world before dematerialisation turned us all into discorporate, transvestite social media entities.

sadmanbarty

given how different it is from current rap, waka and keef were rather fortuitous with their fragmented rapping. it was something that would be purified as the decade progressed.

luka

You get Wagner bombast pre-Luger with eg Hate me Now or with a lot of Dipset or with Bonecrusher's Never Scared (or crunk more generally.)