Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: William Blake.

If anyone has Amazon Prime, this documentary (while extremely low budget) is worth a watch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-White-B.../dp/B079K7X3WR

Oh I've found it on YouTube too

Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Re: the exhibition - I almost certainly will go, but I actually don't find that Blake's paintings improve all that much in the flesh, seeing as they tend to be very small and easily reproduced in print. But i guess there'll be a lot of stuff other than the paintings there.

Saying that I saw some of his engravings at the Tate recently and they're fantastically detailed, well worth seeing at a larger scale than you'd find in a book:

This is an illustration for The Divine Comedy

Agnolo Brunelleschi was a thief whose punishment was to be attacked for all eternity by a serpent. Their two bodies merge into one another, so that Brunelleschi’s appearance befits his sin.

Blake shows the moment at which the serpent begins to inhabit Brunelleschi’s body, as its jaws engulf his head and it sinks its claws into his skin.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 17-09-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Iain Sinclair visits William Blake's grave and discusses the spiritual visions that made up such a significant part of his life and work. Filmed at Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, London.

Sinclair says here that Blake was in a zone which other people have to take peyote to get to. I've heard that somewhere before.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 17-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

shut up corpsey
    Last edited by Corpsey; 17-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.

There's another of those Sinclair vids.

thanks for posting those sinclair vids - i'll check em out. yeah i've often been disappointed as well when i've seen blake pieces in a gallery, as they're often tiny and a bit blurry. a lot of the books have this issue as well. i think it's to do with the printing? as in, they are reproductions off plates, and the versions we've got are from plates that have been overused. so there will be some amazing versions in existence, but often the ones shown in galleries might have been printed off a plate that had already been used lots of times and thus degraded a little. check the credit slips to see if it was blake's own printing, or one by someone else. there was a recent show at tate liverpool and all the actual prints were credited to someone else ie someone had bought the blake plates and made prints from them.

Anyone been to the exhibition yet? I forgot it existed!