luka

Mvuent needs to do a deep listening analysis on a song of their choice. Give us the inside angle.

The clothes have been touched on a little already but that look IS a certain kind of middle class England. The black technical jacket, the dark logo-less jumper or t-shirt, the denim, the skate shoes or hiking boot. It is a massive chunk of north London and a huge amount of The North proper. It pays tribute to utilitarian values (comfort fit, use value, made to last) and it nods at 'urban' culture while acknowledging it can't belong there but most of all it aspires to disappear. Camouflage and anonymity. That enormous distaste for rising above the crowd, for drawing attention to oneself, flamboyance and showing off that informs the English psyche.

craner

Beast of Burden
Autechre must do something, we all get animated talking about them. You can't say that about Mike Paradinas or Plaid.

luka

Autechre must do something, we all get animated talking about them. You can't say that about Mike Paradinas or Plaid.

You don't think it's just a reaction against the devotional (and very vocal) following they have here

sadmanbarty

it might just be a result of us being able to have a discussion without an emotional breakdown derailing the thread.

luka

5 albums in with autechre and i haven't had any pleasant surprises.

One of my favourite things about Barty is his entirely guileless assertions of having listened to 20 albums in 15 minutes, entire ouvreres in an afternoon. He genuinely believes he's telling the truth.

luka

I agree with ayatollah Reynolds, it's the spastic rhythms that are most repellent

luka

It's as though an eagerness to avoid cliche has led them to reject everything that is good and functional about music

Vimothys mate sells weed to autechre. Vims met them. He says they're proper weirdos. Creeps.

version

It's as though an eagerness to avoid cliche has led them to reject everything that is good and functional about music

I'm not convinced they think in those terms. They strike me as two people who just got really into drum machines and synths and never stopped exploring them. I've never gotten the sense that they're trying to do anything other or bigger than fiddling about with beats and sounds they like. There's none of the cheeky self awareness of Aphex or some sort of grand idea or concept to it. It's just music.

luka

Except it's not music. It's everything except music. The deliberate avoidance of music. This is Vims favourite. He said it's beautiful, like aerosols spray painting the colours at sunset. Quite poetic vim, cheers.