Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: proper tunes

aesthetically, sonically, he's classical

but in attitude he's romantic

i.e. the Beatles included him on the cover of Sgt Pepper as a nod to intellectual, avant authenticity

it seems like there's multiple axes here that don't correspond, is what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    It all ends up being proper tunes eventually, doesn't it?
    turtles all the way down, bro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

I'm gonna come down on the side of proper tunes too as it seems the broader of the two and I think the response carries more weight than the shock of the new thing. The latter can veer into novelty and remain a surface fascination whereas a great melody or hook hits you right in the gut and you like it because you like it.
    Last edited by version; 20-09-2019 at 05:11 AM.

but I do think about that, the power to shock, or rather to upend someone's view of the possible

my go-to example is: I cannot conceive of any music that would blow my mind the way hearing Jimi Hendrix in 1967 blew some people's minds

it's not about good or bad, or whatever (there are like 2 songs of his I'd ever want to listen to, and yes one of them is 1983 A Merman)

it's that it was a totally new thing - the vocabulary of heavy guitars - that he invented

not out of nothing, sure, precedents, but still no one else had done it, he did it

like no one else did 4'33", John Cage did. no one else painted White On White, Malevich did.

in the end yeah it's all grist for proper tunes

the final proper tune is the heat death of the universe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

I find some stuff opens the door then makes itself scarce and other stuff opens the door then follows you through it, a lot of noise stuff being the former, someone like Hendrix or Aphex Twin being the latter.

have you ever visited a high-end, highly curated art museum and wondered: what infinitesimal % of human creative expression lasts down the ages? is remembered?

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    have you ever visited a high-end, highly curated art museum and wondered: what infinitesimal % of human creative expression lasts down the ages? is remembered?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

remember that time in The Odyssey when Thetis asked Achilles if he wanted a swift death + eternal glory, or to live a long fruitful life + be forgotten?

and he was like "proper tunes, bro"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

yeah that's pretty dope, good look

You can't dodge entropy. It all ends up being proper tunes eventually, doesn't it? You even know what you're going to get from 'experimental' music now. It's become a genre in its own right.
    maybe. but I'm not thinking of it as cliched vs. novel--either side can be innovative or not. in the case of licht, making a 48 hour opera that's impossibly (in the most literal sense) grandiose would horrify a proper tunes person. whereas I hear about it and think "that sounds amazing" a classically minded person would think that no good could come of it: making something that long is obviously an insult to the audience rather than a gift. so to me you can identify some tendencies as one or the other regardless of many times they've been done before.

he was a weird dude

woah fuck a whole page appeared while I was typing that. im slow.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I find the classical/romantic dichotomy to be confusing

like OK Romanticism valued "authenticity" over basically all, sure

and "proper tunes" is authentic, sure

but then it's also extreme, unknown, whatever vs. classical's restraint and tastefulness?
    forget authenticity I don't care about that

I don't know what that quote was from I just googled "classical vs. romantic aesthetics" and thought it vaguely fit