The Cocoon

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if this enforced isolation will wake people up, paradoxically, to how important it is to get out of the cocoon.

version

It could do the opposite too. People might wonder why they ever bothered working in an office etc once they've become accustomed to doing everything from home.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Maybe. This could definitely be a tipping point for WFH. But otoh I think people don't realise how important the social side of work is. Being unemployed is shit for the lack of money of course first and foremost but it's also isolating.

Although, imagine if rather than you and your mates all going to different offices in the morning you all met up and did your separate jobs together. Would that be disastrous?

version

It's getting to the point where I'm starting to lose my sense of how things were before. That you could just go out whenever you felt like it, meet a bunch of people in the pub. It feels like a distant land.

version

Nah, I just stayed as locked down as I could as I felt it was a matter of time before it kicked in again and I didn't want to get ill. I went to a mate's once, but that's about it in terms of social events. I've been for walks more or less every day.

luka

I've mentioned this before but I think one interesting fork in the road is what happens when the shops disappear. We're crossed a threshold. People will still consume needless to say but consumer spending is no longer the main driver of the world economy. The internet is forcing 'bricks and mortar' shops out of business.

There's an opportunity, potentially, for a reclamation of public space. Shopping is a tragically degraded use of it in any case. Could there be a way to repurpose it for something which involved interaction and shared projects etc. Almost certainly not... but who knows
As retail continues to retreat, might our future high streets embrace the great outdoors?

“Ever since Woolworths closed in 2008, Stockton Council has been rethinking what the town centre should be,” says Cooke. “The future is not more shops. It’s about leisure, culture, events and recreation, and making it a nice place for people to simply be.”

entertainment

Watched The Net last night. 90s hacker thing with Sandra Bullock that's pretty crap but feels prescient in some respects.

Weird how you this type of technological quaintness is so conducive to nostalgia. It's not so much any identifiable good thing about that time that you yearn for. It's more like a yearning for not now. It's not the presence of past technology but the condition it evokes of the absence of current technology, a yearning for the comfort of simplicity, for innocence, a sort of prelapsarian yearning.