Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour Party Conference

I'll be honest, I believed the line that it had nothing to do with him when I heard it. I just struggle to see him as some sort of schemer. He doesn't have that edge to him as far as I can tell. Perhaps I just haven't seen it.

Sorry. I was conflating you and Subvert in a blind flash of rage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

A lot of publications definitely do choose unflattering photos when it benefits the material though and that one definitely makes him look devious and weird.

gettyimages-1038276576.jpg

Yeah but the idea that the New Statesman carries some institutional anti Lab bias is crazy. It's a bloody house journal for the Left.

Bush is great as well, v well informed and connected, manages to be scrupulously unpartisan which is astonishing considering the bun fights he reports on

I get where subvert's coming from to an extent. We've had four years of relentless hysteria and hit pieces when it comes to Corbyn so any negative coverage is easy to roll your eyes at and dismiss.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Of course. I do think though that this means that any valid criticisms are dismissed in a way that's not healthy. It's kinda emblematic of the post-truth culture we're in.

Funnily enough, it's something which places Trump and Corbyn supporters side by side in that they both feel their guy is forever being smeared by the media and that they can no longer trust anything critical of him. Obviously I think the criticism of Trump is far more justified, but I can see why his supporters feel as hostile toward the press as they do.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I like the Orwell quote, "some things are true even if they are in The Daily Telegraph"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I like the Orwell quote, "some things are true even if they are in The Daily Telegraph"
    Yes indeed, but when those true things are surrounded by endless garbage, how would you know which are which? Simpler just to ignore the whole lot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Yeah but the idea that the New Statesman carries some institutional anti Lab bias is crazy. It's a bloody house journal for the Left.
    It's a house journal for the "New Labour" type left. Consequently it does have institutional anti-Labour bias because their perspective is no longer the dominant one in the Labour party. Similarly with the Guardian. Although they both run supportive pieces from regular columnists, their general editorial slant is effectively anti-Labour.

The Guardian endorsed the Lib Dems in 2010.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oment-has-come

Quote Originally Posted by subvert47 View Post
    It's actually all about the membership thinking Tom Watson is a complete tool.
    On what basis do you make this judgement?

Sounds a lot like the classic "People think..." to mean "I think...".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Whatever you think of him as a person, party leader etc, the fact is that, as was true in 2015, Corbyn's proposed domestic policies are still very threatening to a very large number of people who just want a return to supposedly 'safe' 2000s centrism i.e. social liberalism and right-wing economics (eg the disastrous PFI continuation, which is now a major reason for the struggles of the NHS, because it was one of the worst deals imaginable). That dynamic goes way beyond Corbyn, and it's frustrating that everything is couched in terms of a single personality. If he resigned tomorrow, that struggle/tension would still be the central theme within Labour.

Figuring out what's actually happening is pretty damn difficult when the stakes are perceived as so high by so many. And 'what's actually happening' depends upon what one's own political ideals are, and whether the LP is moving towards them or away from them (assuming one has any investment in that party)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I still haven't worked out exactly what it was, but the combination of the '08 crash and Obama being elected seemed to flip a switch on the Western right and convince them that they absolutely could not afford to ever lose an election again and that from here on out it's all a zero-sum game and the gloves are off.