Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moments in Film

Default Moments in Film

Scenes, lines, images, sounds which stuck with you for whatever reason, which rendered the film worthwhile or which opened a door on their own.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Wire: Your music is very visual. I suppose thatís partly the influence of films? Youíve talked about that sound from ĎAliení being one of your favourite sounds.

Burial: The motion tracker, yeah, and the dropship, the sentry guns. My big brother would play that sound to me when I was little, and tell me the stories from the film. He recorded it on a tape. He would tell me about that motion tracker sound, and ĎAliení and ĎAliensí are some of the scariest films. But he would only show me the bit where they were loading up the weapons, but heíd say, Ďyouíre too young, I wonít show you the rest, but Iíll tell you about ití. I love the sound of the motion tracker, you can feel the fear of the empty spaces ahead, it's like sonar. I like Blade Runner but Iím only obsessed with one scene in it, the bit where heís sitting at those cafes in the rain.

The predator camo always got me in the first Predator, moreso than the film. Just that shot of it shimmering where the eyes flash for a second and the bit where it appears on the tree.

yelloweyes.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

I've never seen a Wong Kar-wai film. I've been meaning to watch Fallen Angels and Chungking Express for years but just never have.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I've never seen a Wong Kar-wai film. I've been meaning to watch Fallen Angels and Chungking Express for years but just never have.
    I've seen them but somehow never seen In The Mood For Love. I watched this thing called Kaili Blues recently, it's kinda like Wong Kar-Wai now I come to think of it although I liked it a lot more

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

As for moments... it's really cool the bit in that clip when he rides up the mountain on his motor bike - reminds me of the entering The Zone bit in Stalker.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

I really like sequences which just follow people driving or whatever, like the opening of the original Italian Job or the jogging scene at the start of Birth.

Another one from Kaili Blues - though maybe it was overegging the pudding

The opening of T-2 when the terminator foot comes down on the skull is another for me, that and the noise of the treads going over the bones.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

The grainy shot of the derelict in Alien.

The woman floating off into the void on the other side of the mirror in Prince of Darkness.

"It had to be an ear because it's an opening. An ear is wide and, as it narrows, you can go down into it. And it goes somewhere vast. . . "

This quote from Lynch on the ear in the field at the start of Blue Velvet has been rattling around in my head since I read it the other day. It's perfect. He managed to condense the entire film into a single image.