version

I think as long as you've got something holding it together and performing the role of the kick or the snare you can get away with quite a lot in between.

chava

What is it with all this fetichization of the body in supposedly opposition to AE?

Why would you need your art/music to be about the body. You're already in your body.

It's like rock n roll drummers banging harder on the drums to be assert their impostion on the world. It's pathetic. Drum machines all the way.

Still don't care much for Autechre. You need to go all in with this stuff. Like SND/Mark Fell.

luka

What is it with all this fetichization of the body in supposedly opposition to AE?

Why would you need your art/music to be about the body. You're already in your body.

It's like rock n roll drummers banging harder on the drums to be assert their impostion on the world. It's pathetic. Drum machines all the way.

Still don't care much for Autechre. You need to go all in with this stuff. Like SND/Mark Fell.

Fair point.

luka

What I was saying was fair does t depend on whether I like Mark fell. I mean it's fair to question what chava is calling the fetishisation of the body. You make the same point when you invoke ableism which again, I think is reasonable criticism. It's worth looking at.

version

Autechre feel like what I was saying re: communicating online the other day.
I find communicating online feels like attaining several extra spider like limbs, like Dr. Octopus or the Boiler Geezer in Spirited Away. You've got words but you're also able to pull in images, video, audio and all sorts to make up for the lack of body language and tone of voice. It's like your mouth sealing itself shut as a bunch of antennas and tendrils sprout from your head.

Last edited:

luka

I don't really care about the music per se. I like the conversation. There's no need to bury me under 500 youtubes.

luka

And as we all know there's a set and setting aspect to this. First you have to dose me with a million Es or an ocean of liquid acid so I'm receptive and vulnerable. Not YouTube in the morning with my coffee when I'm cranky and impatient.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What I was saying was fair does t depend on whether I like Mark fell. I mean it's fair to question what chava is calling the fetishisation of the body. You make the same point when you invoke ableism which again, I think is reasonable criticism. It's worth looking at.

it's relevant though. you probably would have hated jungle if you were 18 in 92, all those unfashionable chipmunks and surrey divas! lykra and home counties and portsmouth polluting the acid house legacy.

to go anti-body you have to dispense with the body's prime constituent, the desire to please others. this is the supreme paradox of the egotist. the more egotistical you come, the less mastery you have over your individual self, as everything is judged not in relation to ones self image but in relation to the self images you have constructed of others and that others impose on you. its a trap.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
And as we all know there's a set and setting aspect to this. First you have to dose me with a million Es or an ocean of liquid acid so I'm receptive and vulnerable. Not YouTube in the morning with my coffee when I'm cranky and impatient.

hippy. set and setting never. the bad american imported rule to psychedelics.

version

Gantz Graf is perhaps on a similar level to the Mark Fell stuff. That one goes all the way out.

luka

I can't continue this conversation cos you're just ranting. It don't enjoy it when you start doing this mad accusatory ranting so I have to duck out. Sorry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can't continue this conversation cos you're just ranting. It don't enjoy it when you start doing this mad accusatory ranting so I have to duck out. Sorry.

it's only accusatory because you want it to be. every bloody month we get 10 variations on fashion. who the fuck cares about fashion? none of us are fashionable, least of all you.

by all means express discomfort with electronic music itself as its own language, but barty has done that to an extent and noone else.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't dislike post-dubstep because it was made and played out by goldsmiths students, I dislike it because it was fucking dull and the music it referenced was better. if there is a good post-dubstep tune I'll still rate it. noble london culturalism is so dull. it's like lisa mckenzie gushing about 6 music whilst ranting on and on about how the bbc discriminates against the working class, that's not how this works luv.

luka

But do you want to talk to me or just vent? Cos if just vent I'll put you on ignore. Cos I'm not a necessary part of that process. It can happen without my involvement. Everyone's happy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I want to talk to you but not when you're in cringe mode trying to push a projected point onto us that is just a kneejerk anti-intellectual prejudice. like say Autechre is a shadow of Xenakis like Matt did, but you'll struggle because as mvtuant said their interviews contradict that. you can argue that they aren't aware of their own weaknesses, that is another story. but expecting two people in their late 40s to be clubbing week in week out is daft. and who says they were ever against jungle? they never did drill and bass, not like afx/mu-ziq did. and actually even if they wereagainst jungle, that's a strength, at least they didn't try and co-opt it for the idm crowd but pursued their own trajectory. they don't even fit into that scene. neither does vladislav delay or mark fell.

like, apologies for coming across as so antagonistic but I'm sick of this forum just being an endless variation on minstrellsy. we should be able to talk about the semiotics of the music without always centring its fashion. that's what the (predominantly white) woke fact mag/truants types do. hence any music made by black queer people (garnish some poverty tourism for extra measure) is automatically laudible. people become political objects for policy makers, not complex beings in and of themselves.