Thread: The 80s Voice

Default The 80s Voice

The Cure, Associates, The Human League, The Chameleons, Japan and a bunch of others. How would you describe the voice? I know it when I hear it, but all I can come up with is that it's an 80s thing or just listing people or bands that have it; even Ricky Gervais had it.

wait, there's a huge difference between billy Mackenzie's vocals and Robert smith's.

They've all got this glassy, operatic sort of sound to my ears; Echo and the Bunnymen too. The accent plays a part too.

I've mentioned the various kinds of funny 80s voices a lot here. It's a decade of camp comic theatrical affected artificial voices. Across almost all genres. Both sides of the Atlantic.

Lots of reverb.

All the processing comes down to it being a major time for studio experimentation. Some things became fads. Specific settings on specific bits of gear. Gated snare the obvious example. The singing sounds kind of lost and twisted. Post apocalyptic. Haunted, wailing. Cold War, home computers. Retro crooning hinting at simpler times. The sound of losing grip and innocence. The world rushing forward into uncharted territory. Digitisation. Is this the future we were promised? Escape into fantasy.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

isn't it a Bowie thing?

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    isn't it a Bowie thing?
    He's certainly important but let's not be overly reductive