Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disruption.

Default Disruption.

Let's examine disruption. Uber. Disaster Capitalism. Dominic Cummings. San Francisco. New Burrito App. Revolution in work practice. It owes a lot to the idea quoted below. That to reassemble at a higher level of complexity first you need to break down the previous order. image.jpg

"Move fast and break things" (early Facebook motto) seems related to me to Karl Rove (allegedly)'s infamous comments about how an empire shapes reality:

The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.

The disruptor moves at speed, ahead of history, creating turbulence, breaking things by introducing velocities and intensities that they're not equipped to tolerate. This is not exactly the same rationale as "break things down in order to re-organise them better". The concept of organisation involved is usually dynamic and emergent - it's not a programmatic rationalisation of phenomena, but derangement in the interests of unpredictable novelty. The governing force is not reason (philosophy) but will (antiphilosophy, the Nietzschean desire to embody in one's person the force which breaks history in two).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to poetix For This Useful Post:

Great disorder under heaven leads to great order under heaven.

Thanks poetix i hoped you'd be my man here

"He wants spiritual brokenness, the kind of brokenness He can use. He wants godly sorrow that leads to repentance "

(2 Cor. 7:10)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slothrop For This Useful Post:

I like Haggis and I like Bahn Mi, not sure about the combination.....

disruption has become and ends in itself.

there's an element of the banon-cummings mythology that there's not particularly an end they're after. it's not 'disrupt the system so as to implement x'. disruption for disruption's-sake.

this fits in to luke's joker vector thing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

cyberwarfare is the weaponisation of disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    disruption has become and ends in itself.

there's an element of the banon-cummings mythology that there's not particularly an end they're after. it's not 'disrupt the system so as to implement x'. disruption for disruption's-sake.

this fits in to luke's joker vector thing.
    And Fight Club.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

"Chaos, Mr Who. That is our mode and modus. That is our central kick."

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    The disruptor moves at speed, ahead of history, creating turbulence, breaking things by introducing velocities and intensities that they're not equipped to tolerate. This is not exactly the same rationale as "break things down in order to re-organise them better". The concept of organisation involved is usually dynamic and emergent - it's not a programmatic rationalisation of phenomena, but derangement in the interests of unpredictable novelty. The governing force is not reason (philosophy) but will (antiphilosophy, the Nietzschean desire to embody in one's person the force which breaks history in two).
    I think it is the same. Because the disruptor doesn't reorganise. It just magically happens. At a higher attractor site. As you say this is dynamic and emergent.