luka

yyaldrins picture is full of wild and wanton women while yours is peopled exclusively with diffident bald men. Otherwise, very similar

sadmanbarty

they're an atemporal people.

social structures aren't designed around time and age; the young and old intermingle.

children work at market stalls and busk by the age of 8. children have passionate, complex romances at the same time too.

there is no childhood in the economy of family business.

the children work and the adults play.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was thinking the crowd looked kinda weird in that pic. Not representative... although Bairro Alto can be kinda cunty at times. Anyway right now we are in a shack on a beach tucking into octopus salad, clams, mussels, mackerel and whole mini squid. It's fucking hot and the beach is almost empty with waves that look massive, gonna go for a dip in a sec... I like Euripe.

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm probably going. I've been thinking about it. The whole extension thing has been putting me off making the decision, and then there's where (I think I know, but decisions, decisions).

luka

I'm probably going. I've been thinking about it. The whole extension thing has been putting me off making the decision, and then there's where (I think I know, but decisions, decisions).

This was going to be the other plank of the thread. Could you live there? I don't mean the practicalities, I mean, if the opportunity presented itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend owns a restaurant in Bairro Alto, it's on a beautiful street with a tram and a view of the river... but it's spoiled by loads of tourists sitting on the street drinking. Also loads of guys selling fake drugs preying on them. A few months back an mp or something walked down the street and kicked off in the press about the open drugs market so now the police raid it every few days. They station people at all the side streets and then come down from the top and suddenly see hordes of people legging it down the street and the police in the alleys trying catch them "like football goalies" as they run past. If theycatch them it's only an inconvenience cos they have no actual drugs and they are back next day at the latest.

comelately

Wild Horses
This was going to be the other plank of the thread. Could you live there? I don't mean the practicalities, I mean, if the opportunity presented itself.

I've spent months in Sofia, Bulgaria, and lots of people from Europe man the call centres and have a studenty but nonetheless fun existence of sharing 2L bottles of £1 beer & £3 bottles of bad gin. I spent the Summer there a few years ago and it was the happiest time of my life. Bit cold in the Winter though.

It remains a poor place to do business....way too much corruption. Which is a shame.

But yeah, I think I'm going to be happier there. AFAIK, Europeans don't pick up on my kookiness so easily - which I think Brits really filter on.

comelately

Wild Horses
You should move to London. Everyone's cool down here.

Costs a fucking fortune.

Obviously it's a question of lifestyle. But as I say, you can hang out in Sofia sharing cheap lager outside the National Theatre. In Britain, it's £8 for a Schooner of Craft innit?

Many years ago, there were some informal post-drinks on the River in Hammersmith. Now I knew that we'd end up drinking on the grass outside the actual grounds of the pub. So I brought my own beers. It wasn't the thing to do - I mean, I am not saying I was ostracised from the social group as a result (there were other reasons), but it wasn't exactly lauded as the model of good sense - and we weren't getting paid all that much really.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We're talking about southern Europe and (maybe) France in this thread, aren't we?

I do have to wonder how many of these stereotypes really apply in, say, the Netherlands (not many IME, having lived there), or Norway, or Poland.

luka

I was only taking the piss really. Version lives in Prestwich. I'd love to live in Europe for a bit but it's impossible. I'm an unskilled, unqualified monoglot.

luka

We're talking about southern Europe and (maybe) France in this thread, aren't we?

I do have to wonder how many of these stereotypes really apply in, say, the Netherlands (not many IME, having lived there), or Norway, or Poland.

I asked myself that question and I decided they apply more than one might think in large parts of Eastern Europe, and even in Scandinavia. Not that I have been to these places. I've barely been anywhere in Europe but they come here don't they, you can buy gherkins from them in the polski sklep

sadmanbarty

the europe of this thread is wholly human whereas scandanavia is the ahuman ideal. a sci-fi society. technocratic. devoid of humour and sexuality. generous welfare provisions. aryan looking clone people. all imperfection eradicated. the utopia that emerges from dystopia.

version

the europe of this thread is wholly human whereas scandanavia is the ahuman ideal. a sci-fi society. technocratic. devoid of humour and sexuality. generous welfare provisions. aryan looking clone people. all imperfection eradicated. the utopia that emerges from dystopia.

The world's strongest men.

luka

Barty has the advantage of having travelled to literally every country in Europe to impregnate their women.