Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Europe.

Britain more than most I'd say. This 'special relationship' mythology runs deep.

Different countries sieze onto a different aspect of Americana. In France for example it's jazz and comic books.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Britain's problem, if you see it as a problem, (I do) is an inability to separate our interests from theirs. This wasn't always the case. We didn't join the Vietnam war.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Different countries sieze onto a different aspect of Americana. In France for example it's jazz and comic books.
    The funny thing is, the French were, at least in the 19th Century - the "brother nation" of the USA. They both had intertwined Revolutions and had an enemy in common: the Brits. At least for a few decades. The two statues of liberty and all that.

Which seems to have been trumped by an atavistic racial alliance (notwithstanding the fact that Anglo-Americans are just one strand among many)

Britain's problem, if you see it as a problem, (I do) is an inability to separate our interests from theirs. This wasn't always the case. We didn't join the Vietnam war.
    I'd go with that, and I think part of the attraction/glamour/confluence is the fantasy of being intimately involved in the affairs of the most powerful nation on earth. Britain can't get used to its real position in the world.

Not always the case, but it has largely been the case since 1979.

And yet people motivated by this idea are about to render Britain more irrelevant in the wider world than it has been since probably the middle ages.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

But yet more closely entwined with and subservient to America.

Exactly - the fantasy is kept intact for the short term. Britain is becoming an irrelevance, Brexit or no Brexit. Of course Brexit will accelerate the process massively, but it will allow the fantasy to burn brightly (for some people) before being brutally extinguished. Kind of terrifying.

Which seems to have been trumped by an atavistic racial alliance (notwithstanding the fact that Anglo-Americans are just one strand among many)
    You could in fact see the political push towards white identity solidarity western chauvinism as part of a prelude to war with China, and overtures to Russia as being part of the build up to that confrontation.

But yet more closely entwined with and subservient to America.
    To the benefit of precisely no-one who doesn't own big shares in private medical insurance companies.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Soon we will leave it. Yyaldrin, Chava, Firefinga, Entertainment from Copenhagen, all will become strangers to us. In truth we were never European in any case. It always felt foreign, exotic, seductive, sleepy, gentle, preserved in aspic.
    I'll stop posting on October 31st

14. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I'll stop posting on October 31st
    please don't!

This was going to be the other plank of the thread. Could you live there? I don't mean the practicalities, I mean, if the opportunity presented itself.
    I moved to Budapest. It's awesome.

Well I like it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to comelately For This Useful Post:

Ace, I'd like to hear about your experiences and the place itself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post: