firefinga

Soon we will leave it. Yyaldrin, Chava, Firefinga, Entertainment from Copenhagen, all will become strangers to us. In truth we were never European in any case.

There is actually a lot of truth in this, and the alienation was always - somewhat - mutual. De Gaulle didn't want you in. The Tories always wanted the EC/EU to be nothing more than a free trade organisation anyways. Major almost fell over the Maastricht treaty, didn't he? From the moment the EU was born, UKs membership was doomed. Blair preferred Bush over the EU and so on.

firefinga

The real division in Europe isn't (former) catholic versus protestant countries, but the ones with decent winegrowing and those without.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There is actually a lot of truth in this, and the alienation was always - somewhat - mutual. De Gaulle didn't want you in. The Tories always wanted the EC/EU to be nothing more than a free trade organisation anyways. Major almost fell over the Maastricht treaty, didn't he? From the moment the EU was born, UKs membership was doomed. Blair preferred Bush over the EU and so on.

Britain has long been drawn to the sleazy glamour of America.

luka

Different countries sieze onto a different aspect of Americana. In France for example it's jazz and comic books.

luka

Britain's problem, if you see it as a problem, (I do) is an inability to separate our interests from theirs. This wasn't always the case. We didn't join the Vietnam war.

firefinga

Different countries sieze onto a different aspect of Americana. In France for example it's jazz and comic books.

The funny thing is, the French were, at least in the 19th Century - the "brother nation" of the USA. They both had intertwined Revolutions and had an enemy in common: the Brits. At least for a few decades. The two statues of liberty and all that.

luka

Which seems to have been trumped by an atavistic racial alliance (notwithstanding the fact that Anglo-Americans are just one strand among many)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Britain's problem, if you see it as a problem, (I do) is an inability to separate our interests from theirs. This wasn't always the case. We didn't join the Vietnam war.

I'd go with that, and I think part of the attraction/glamour/confluence is the fantasy of being intimately involved in the affairs of the most powerful nation on earth. Britain can't get used to its real position in the world.

Not always the case, but it has largely been the case since 1979.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And yet people motivated by this idea are about to render Britain more irrelevant in the wider world than it has been since probably the middle ages.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Exactly - the fantasy is kept intact for the short term. Britain is becoming an irrelevance, Brexit or no Brexit. Of course Brexit will accelerate the process massively, but it will allow the fantasy to burn brightly (for some people) before being brutally extinguished. Kind of terrifying.

luka

Which seems to have been trumped by an atavistic racial alliance (notwithstanding the fact that Anglo-Americans are just one strand among many)

You could in fact see the political push towards white identity solidarity western chauvinism as part of a prelude to war with China, and overtures to Russia as being part of the build up to that confrontation.

firefinga

Soon we will leave it. Yyaldrin, Chava, Firefinga, Entertainment from Copenhagen, all will become strangers to us. In truth we were never European in any case. It always felt foreign, exotic, seductive, sleepy, gentle, preserved in aspic.

I'll stop posting on October 31st :(