The Puppets

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I got that. Was just trying to work in the idea that personal sincerity might be part of kinda brand creation.

luka

Vigilant citizen was a big inspiration and influence on me now I'm influencing vigilant citizen proud moment.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/the-elite-machine-behind-greta-thunberg/

In the matter of a few months, Greta Thunberg went from a lone girl protesting in front of the Swedish parliament to an international phenomenon. Although mass media is making it seem as if this meteoric rise to prominence happened organically, this is simply not true.

Behind Greta is a major machine, one that is controlled by major international actors and backed by major funds. This PR machine has allowed Greta to make the covers of magazines, become the subject of thousands of news articles while being photographed with world leaders and giving speeches at elite organizations such as the United Nations.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

Or it's like Obama where it doesn't matter who he might have been as an individual, once he was head not just of the democrat machine but of the America machine there's really nothing he can do but send in the drones.

luka

The cross fertilisation of the entertainment industry and politics PR and activism. Very very interesting indeed.

kumar

perhaps slightly off topic but its seemed surprising at points, particularly in the past few years, that at least a superficial image of sincerity, or fallibility, isn’t used as often as you might expect in the personal branding of elite agents, at least of certain lowly politicians. everybody says they cant stand fake people its probably the thing you overhear most, theres a clear market for non fakers. it was really noticeable during the windrush scandal where you had a cavalcade of dunces deferring any responsibility when it seemed that if out of nothing else but machiavellian shadow puppet self serving spin, at least pretending to hold their hands up and admit theyd fucked up would have probably endeared them in the eyes of the public, maybe even saved a few jobs. i doubt thats the best example but suggests a couple of things, either that high level puppetry is riddled with mistakes and branding often out of tune with public desires, or that something about apparent sincerity isn’t actually that necessary or successful for manufacturing consent.

luka

Eventually I will goad you lot into talking about this. Tea had a moment of recognition on the televised revolution thread. We're getting closer and closer

luka

Where I encounter resistance I have to be careful not to push too hard. Just probing, lubricating, litlle bit at a time

poetix

we murder to dissect
I noticed that Lyra was styled in a Thunberg-ish way in last Sunday's episode of His Dark Materials.

Greta will be enthusiastically sexualised by the media as soon as it's remotely acceptable for them to do so, like Emma Watson or Millie Bobby Brown (on whom they seem to have jumped the gun rather). There will be a glamorous photoshoot. Latex trousers. It will be understood that this is part of being a celebrity, whatever sort of celebrity you are. There will be some spiel about how Aspergers and worrying about the future of the planet doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. A boyfriend or girlfriend or medley of various sorts will be touted. All of this is currently latent, and will become manifest.

sadmanbarty

I just bumped into ash sarkar.

Never particularly thought of her as a puppet, but seeing her in the real world did make me just see her as this little girl. She looked like a 12 year old getting the tube for the first time.

She- like farage- was really a creation of the bbc, given a platform that far exceeds what she deserves and-unlike farage- is prepared fir.

She seemed slightly embarrassed, possibly clocking i recognised her. She’s been on the receiving end of a lot of scorn, held responsible for advocating on behalf of a doomed to fail political project. It’s not fair really. Lots of people have dumb opinions at that age; “student politics” to quote Alan Johnson. She’s been thrust into the British public and out into the world by question time producers who should k ow better,

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
One of the reasons you see her as a little girl is because she has been treated that way by every interviewer I've ever seen. The levels of media misogyny - and inevitably racism - are off the scale, and not only from the likes of Piers Morgan.

I really like her in her capacity as a pundit, and think she's vastly more intelligent than most of the other media pundits out there. I find most of her opinions far from dumb, and I'd be very surprised if you (SMB) didn't actually share quite a few of her values.

Whether you think her ideas about achieving them are any good, seems to me another matter - in recent political debate, the idea of 'fundamental disagreement with someone' has expanded from one's actual values, to one's strategy for achieving them, which to my mind is part of the way in which things have come to feel ever more oppositional and fragmented. It brings to mind nothing more than youtube-era football, where fans seem to spend more time slating their own team's strategy in laborious detail than arguing with other fans. And of course criticism of the LP in this regard is more than valid.

Last edited:
  • Love

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Meet Zainab, the pious Pakistani teenager campaigning for the right to be a homemaker."

droid

Maybe, just maybe, passionate and courageous young women have minds of their own and penetrate public consciousness not through the machinations of 'puppeteers' but through the force of their will and courage of their convictions.

luka

Maybe, just maybe, passionate and courageous young women have minds of their own and penetrate public consciousness not through the machinations of 'puppeteers' but through the force of their will and courage of their convictions.

Lol leave it out

luka

So what this is about, to try and clear up the confusion, is not whether or not we like a given mouthpiece (I love/hate Taylor Swift) not whether or not we are in favour of the message espoused (I support/don't support gay rights) not about whether or not we think the individual in question is sincere (Taylor Swift does/doesn't really care about the gays) it's simply about how machines speak through human faces.

Just to reiterate for droid and others that haven't read the actual thread.