Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Puppets

and it's a two-way street: the machine doesn't always pick the person, sometimes it's the other way around. the celeb who needs a certain form of reputation rehab scans the social and political options and selects the cause that might best help them course-correct with their audience.

Sean Spicer on Dancing with the Stars.

Why do you think "the machines" are speaking through Greta? I think there's absolutely a Spectacular element in how she's been picked up and promoted but that's not all of it. The personal sincerity is part of the branding also which feeds into her presentation /amplification.
    (also - re sincerity as a driver of message/popularity isn't this what happened with Corbyn?)
    Last edited by DannyL; 06-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Why do you think "the machines" are speaking through Greta?
    because she's sincere and embodies the message of young people taking climate change more seriously than adults because kids will inherit the worst of it. but also because she's a viral sensation, a hot commodity in the news. there are arguably thousands if not millions of environmental experts who are more qualified to speak on climate change, but qualifications often don't matter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Why do you think "the machines" are speaking through Greta? I think there's absolutely a Spectacular element in how she's been picked up and promoted but that's not all of it. The personal sincerity is part of the branding also which feeds into her presentation /amplification.
    (also - re sincerity as a driver of message/popularity isn't this what happened with Corbyn?)
    As I say In this thread personal sincerity is neither here nor there.

Yeah, I got that. Was just trying to work in the idea that personal sincerity might be part of kinda brand creation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Vigilant citizen was a big inspiration and influence on me now I'm influencing vigilant citizen proud moment.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/latestne...reta-thunberg/

In the matter of a few months, Greta Thunberg went from a lone girl protesting in front of the Swedish parliament to an international phenomenon. Although mass media is making it seem as if this meteoric rise to prominence happened organically, this is simply not true.

Behind Greta is a major machine, one that is controlled by major international actors and backed by major funds. This PR machine has allowed Greta to make the covers of magazines, become the subject of thousands of news articles while being photographed with world leaders and giving speeches at elite organizations such as the United Nations.

Or it's like Obama where it doesn't matter who he might have been as an individual, once he was head not just of the democrat machine but of the America machine there's really nothing he can do but send in the drones.

The cross fertilisation of the entertainment industry and politics PR and activism. Very very interesting indeed.

perhaps slightly off topic but its seemed surprising at points, particularly in the past few years, that at least a superficial image of sincerity, or fallibility, isnít used as often as you might expect in the personal branding of elite agents, at least of certain lowly politicians. everybody says they cant stand fake people its probably the thing you overhear most, theres a clear market for non fakers. it was really noticeable during the windrush scandal where you had a cavalcade of dunces deferring any responsibility when it seemed that if out of nothing else but machiavellian shadow puppet self serving spin, at least pretending to hold their hands up and admit theyd fucked up would have probably endeared them in the eyes of the public, maybe even saved a few jobs. i doubt thats the best example but suggests a couple of things, either that high level puppetry is riddled with mistakes and branding often out of tune with public desires, or that something about apparent sincerity isnít actually that necessary or successful for manufacturing consent.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kumar For This Useful Post:

Eventually I will goad you lot into talking about this. Tea had a moment of recognition on the televised revolution thread. We're getting closer and closer

Where I encounter resistance I have to be careful not to push too hard. Just probing, lubricating, litlle bit at a time

I noticed that Lyra was styled in a Thunberg-ish way in last Sunday's episode of His Dark Materials.

Greta will be enthusiastically sexualised by the media as soon as it's remotely acceptable for them to do so, like Emma Watson or Millie Bobby Brown (on whom they seem to have jumped the gun rather). There will be a glamorous photoshoot. Latex trousers. It will be understood that this is part of being a celebrity, whatever sort of celebrity you are. There will be some spiel about how Aspergers and worrying about the future of the planet doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. A boyfriend or girlfriend or medley of various sorts will be touted. All of this is currently latent, and will become manifest.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to poetix For This Useful Post: