Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Puppets

Default The Puppets

How do we feel about Greta Thunbergs and Malala Yousafzais? The people selected by particular interest blocs to be the face of that cause, until that is, that outlive their usefulness at which point they are discarded.

Pop stars serve an near identical purpose.

Funded, tutored, put on display. The voice that speaks through them is corporate and impersonal.

People who defected from the soviet bloc were used in the same way.

Good thread idea. I feel slightly ill about the way Greta Thunberg is not being properly protected by those who claim to love her - it's sad, but surely this whole experience is going to scar her badly, the amount of hate she has received. Someone older in the climate movement needs to step up and relieve the pressure on her - a proper, thought-through transition before she is simply discarded as yesterday's news at some point. She's being created into a magical child/prophet in whom absurd amounts of responsibility are invested, whereas in reality she's just a 16 (?) year old child.

This is just my personal view, but when I heard her speaking, I couldn't help but wonder if the metaphorical language she used about the planet could actually apply to her own life, as well as to the state of the world. There was something deeply disquieting about it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

"You have stolen my childhood" yes, very good spot that. I hadn't twigged.

Absolutely, and there were other phrases too that came across like a gut-punch. Whatever the other details of her history, if nothing else her parents have clearly not protected her through this whole process of becoming a world icon.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    "You have stolen my childhood" yes, very good spot that. I hadn't twigged.
    very strange speech that was.

i remember thinking how bizarre it was. the either feigned or just strangely expressed anger portrayed with these weird facial contortions and furrowed brow.

the artifice and contrivedness of it really apparent.

you could see the strings.

another strange thing about her is that she appears far younger than 16. still very much a child.

that's in part accented on purpose presumably with the pigtails for example.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I suppose the pragmatic puppet critique of her is that all real radical dissent is stifled and subsumed into this more controllable movement. I think that critique is pretty dumb.

Nothing but love for Greta.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post

i remember thinking how bizarre it was. the either feigned or just strangely expressed anger portrayed with these weird facial contortions and furrowed brow.

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment View Post
    I suppose the pragmatic puppet critique of her is that all real radical dissent is stifled and subsumed into this more controllable movement. I think that critique is pretty dumb.
    This was the argument several people were putting forward in the Extinction Rebellion thread a while back. There were some apparently leftist "critiques" (read: hatchet jobs) on Greta posted there, too.

It did rather leave me thinking "So these are good, constructive, progressive demolitions of a teenage eco-activist, and not to be confused with bad, evil, reactionary demolitions of a teenage eco-activist, then?"
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Yes lads you've missed the point

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post

I haven't watched this but it's worth bearing in mind that she is autistic, so judging her demeanour and speech patterns by neurotypical standards might not be entirely fair.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

That's true and needs to be said. But do watch the speech. It's why I posted it.

So what this is about, to try and clear up the confusion, is not whether or not we like a given mouthpiece (I love/hate Taylor Swift) not whether or not we are in favour of the message espoused (I support/don't support gay rights) not about whether or not we think the individual in question is sincere (Taylor Swift does/doesn't really care about the gays) it's simply about how machines speak through human faces.