Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Cartoon Physics/The Revenge of the Tangible

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Yeah, I get that too. I can't quite get my head round the 90s being almost 30 years ago. I'm so used to the 80s being 20 years ago. Dubstep being like fifteen years ago is a real eyebrow raiser.
    Supports my theory the really stagnant decade was the 2010s. I recently re-read (or rather, flicked thru) a few copies of music mags from around 2009/2010 - and things that got lauded there - streaming, social media, smartphones - are still at the center of attention a decade later.

As a proud reactionary I don't see history as a constent stream of change, I rather see sudden bursts of change which then lead into a solified new era. The 1990s and 2000s were the transitional period from analog to fully digital/dematerialisation, the 2010s are the first full digital decade - Especially the second half.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

"In this civilization there were successive epochs of high development- a series of creative periods which produced inestimable treasures not only of a material kind but also in the intellectual region of culture; and there were also periods of temporary stagnation and decline, when the creative powers of this or that part of the ancient world were for the time enfeebled. The zenith of cultural creation was attained by Egypt and Babylonia in the third millenium B.C.; by Egypt again in the second millennium and, at the same time, by Asia Minor and part of Greece; by Assyria, Babylonia and Persia in the eighth, seventh and sixth centuries B.C.; next by Greece in the sixth century B.C. to the second, and by Italy in the first century B.C. and the first century A.D. From the second century A.D. A general stagnation in creative power is observable in the whole of the ancient world; and by the third century an almost complete cessation of this power and a gradual reversion to more and more primitive conditions of life."

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The 2010s never happened.
    Alright, Jean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

classic cartoon punch / slap sound used as a snare starting ~1:10. I tried to do the same a few times before hearing this so I guess it's a common idea.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    As a proud reactionary I don't see history as a constent stream of change, I rather see sudden bursts of change which then lead into a solified new era. The 1990s and 2000s were the transitional period from analog to fully digital/dematerialisation, the 2010s are the first full digital decade - Especially the second half.

lol m8 if you were truly a proud reactionary you wouldn't identify yourself as such, as reactionary thought is itself modern. it's like people saying they are proud traditionalists. barmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

i am god suck my cock i know everything.
    I respect islamists

good thread this. there's also a kind of overtly implicated cartoon physics in ayler/cecil taylor as well. I think liberatory music has to have that dialectical tension between the cartoon and the serious. you tilt too much in either direction and you go up yer arse.

in lyrics, it would be gangsta humour, bushwick bill and Geto Boys.
    I respect islamists

I've always found Mingus' Moanin' quite cartoonish. It's got these big farting notes at the start, like a cartoon character being squished or bonked on the head.