Crystalline/Glacial

sadmanbarty

The mountain is an important component of this symbol complex. Again, isolation, spiritual elevation, a vantage placed above the human, the heavens, the arduous ascent

mohammad, moses, buddha and nietzche (and his zarathustra) all had to go and isolate themselves from society to attain wisdom. .

at least 3 of those went up mountains.

sermon on the mount too.

version

"One finds here, very rarely in the low lying areas, more frequently as one goes farther up, a clear and extremely hard stone that is spherical and varies in size—a kind of crystal, but a curved crystal, something extraordinary and unknown on the rest of the planet. Among the French of Port-des-Singes, it is called peradam. Ivan Lapse remains puzzled by the formation and root meaning of this word. It may mean, according to him, "harder than diamond," and it is; or "father of the diamond," and they say that the diamond is in fact the product of the degeneration of the peradam by a sort of quartering of the circle or, more precisely, cubing of the sphere. Or again, the word may mean "Adam's stone," having some secret and profound connection to the original nature of man. The clarity of this stone is so great and its index of refraction so close to that of air that, despite the crystal's great density, the unaccustomed eye hardly perceives it. But to anyone who seeks it with sincere desire and true need, it reveals itself by its sudden sparkle, like that of dewdrops. The peradam is the only substance, the only material object whose value is recognized by the guides of Mount Analogue. Therefore, it is the standard of all currency, as gold is for us."

sadmanbarty

Ket feels a bit like that at times. Very detached, like being encased and falling deeper into frosted glass. That's on smaller doses though when it feels a bit cleaner. Beyond a certain point it gets a bit sludgy and mushy.

the kuedo stuff i imagine's coming from ket culture.

i think when you buy anything on planet mu it comes with free ketamine.

luka

Bells, as Barty says, synths of course (coldwave) but also sax at times, Jan Garbarek.

luka

The far north as a spiritual state and how it operates in opposition to its other pole, the south.

version

The patron saints of dissensus have some icy, crystalline tunes.

Last edited:

luka

This is all similar to what I was on about re: the surface, I think.

Yes because your surface thing was about the smooth surface, frictionless, like ice, or glass, or crystal.

Last edited:

version

Yes because your surface thing was about the smooth surface, frictionless, like ice, or glass, or crystal.

Something like the Koner record is interesting because I also associate 'the surface' with a lightness, a lack of mass, whereas his stuff is all about weight, glacial movements.

sadmanbarty

This is all similar to what I was on about re: the surface, I think.

similar aesthetics, but communicating something very different.

i'd differentiate by saying that thread was emotionally hollow and bleak, whereas i'm talking about this aesthetic's capacity to communicate the complete opposite; what at the time feels like enlightenment.

but as luke says there is a commonality between those two things, an element of societal disconnect.

luka

Something like the Koner record is interesting because I also associate 'the surface' with a lightness, a lack of mass, whereas his stuff is all about weight, glacial movements.

I agree, the metaphor is working in a different way there.

version

The weight seems to slow time. That might be why the other thread felt hollow and bleak according to barty, the lightness is slippery and fleeting. It slides away. The glacier versus ice in a cocktail glass.

luka

I think broadly speaking Barty is constitutionally opposed to coldness. He likes invoking
the blood in the veins, pressing up against a warm arse, friendly hellos, don't worry be happy, the milkman's whistle.