Crystalline/Glacial

luka

This is a favourite mix of mine. It's called ice but how closely it fits the remit is debatable.

The compiler used to post here. Soundslike1981

luka

I associate warmth with mess and cold with organisation.

Within the infinite shadings of tension and release, will and surrender. The inbreath is a sucking at the nipple. Warm, enveloping, humid, close, hot colours, oranges, reds, CARNATION PINK. This is the erotic world of everlasting delight. Squirming, sliding, very lovely and lubricious. BOTH MEANINGS INTENDED.

Yet! When I asked them, who is the puppeteer who pulls the strings? Who is behind the RED VELVET CURTAIN? I arrived instantaneously in a White, bright, Nordic bath house, mind was very clear with the white steady flame of Intellect. THERE ARE OTHER WORLDS.

Last edited:

version

You ever seen that thing where people skim a stone across a frozen lake and it sounds like a laser?

Last edited:

luka

"Thule" (Greek: Θούλη) was a land located by Greco-Roman geographers in the farthest north (often displayed as Iceland).[12] The Latin term "Ultima Thule" is also mentioned by Roman poet Virgil in his pastoral poems called the Georgics.[13] Thule originally was probably the name for Scandinavia, although Virgil simply uses it as a proverbial expression for the edge of the known world, and his mention should not be taken as a substantial reference to Scandinavia.[14] The Thule Society identified Ultima Thule as a lost ancient landmass in the extreme north, near Greenland or Iceland,[15] said by Nazi mystics to be the capital of ancient Hyperborea.

sadmanbarty

Another metaphor for the psychedelic phenomenon I’m talking about is that the world gets an electrical current through it. You can almost see this underlying electrical buzz through the world (hence the new age preoccupation with Om). The garishness I was talking about is when this charge gets too much to process; it’s often how bad trips happen. Your heightened awareness is no longer helping you focus, but rather suffocating you with too much stimuli.

Sitars, shenai’s and pungis are all great at capturing that kind of electricity and crystalline sharpness. In the last 10 years we’ve seen the whiny shenaification of dancehall vocals (0.57):

Which brings us back to this thread via big knob bliss blog’s auto-tune piece:

“The phrase “I can’t break through” turned crystalline, like the singer suddenly disappeared behind frosted glass.”

sadmanbarty

Mapping the synesthesia a bit, I’d say the difference between ‘the surface’ and that Bukem track is the type of light it evokes. The surface is artificial lighting (computer screens, shopping center lights, sun lamps) whereas ‘horizons’ is sunlight.

That’s where you get the emotional divergence; the former’s is a bleak caricature of capitalism whereas the latter’s got all these cosmic connotations.

version

Lynch has a real thing about electricity.

"The chrome reflects our image. Electricity. From pure air. We have descended from pure air. Going up and down, intercourse between the two worlds."

Last edited:

version

I remember reading something about people at one time or another believing someone who'd been struck by lightning had been touched by God.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
from the paintings topic:

the-sea-of-ice-c-1823-1824-oil-on-canvas-967-x-1269-cm-caspar-david-friedrich-1774-1840.jpg

"Caspar David Friedrich’s 'Sea of Ice’; the frosty sublime; imagined
shipwrecks; Hamburg; the moon, the sea, the earth; Kant and the
trade winds; diamonds; money, liquid and crystal, frozen wastes
of abstraction; ice-up; money as a liquid crystal; 'as if'; liquidation
of the self; everything is water; society is no solid crystal; crystals
in crystal; melting polar caps; black ice; Urforms and liquid crystal
screens; states, phases and metaphors; stabil; labil; matter and
thought; water; displays; clouds; liquid crystals"

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

the triangle geometry also evokes vanishing points.

the big bang. atomic facts.

it's no coincidence that kubric often used vanishing points; his aesthetic is very much glacial.

version

the triangle geometry also evokes vanishing points.

the big bang. atomic facts.

it's no coincidence that kubric often used vanishing points; his aesthetic is very much glacial.

The atomic bomb is in that season of Twin Peaks luka was on about too and Kubrick in Strangelove. It acts as a sort of big bang in TP as well because it opens a gateway and births something.

Last edited: