luka

I wonder what German resturaunts there are in London actually. There must be a few, excluding Herman ze German and beer halls.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Things like pork knuckle, sauerkraut etc also liver and taters, just obvious stuff, loads of sausages (they don't have good sausages here, only cold meats and really dense brazilian ones for the bbq), blutwurst and so on. Also they are good on ice cream and coffee (admittedly cos of Italian expats). When we were in Dusseldorf last we went to a real traditional place called.... well, it was this one I think.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...macher-Dusseldorf_North_Rhine_Westphalia.html

I love when you go in a beer place and they give you sausages and raw onions and proper mustard. Much prefer the northern take on mustard to the wimpy and vinegary French version.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, cos of all the Turks they have great kebabs. In London there are lots of good places but outside in the UK they tend to serve 'em in dry pitta bread instead of tasty flatbreads or nan or whatever.
I realise that none of this is good for vegetarians....

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, as an aside, those German beer places are the nearest things I've experienced to a British pub. Here in Portugal they have these little cafes that serve beer and stuff and there is a really nice, friendly, local one round the corner from us, it's lovely and we like to go there and.... but it's still not a pub, it lacks some quality that pubs have. Maybe it's just cos it's too bright I dunno.

IdleRich

IdleRich
And all kinds of dumplings, and there was some cheese dish we made recently to a German recipe. It ends up as a kind of spread with onions and stuff.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
2 frozen pepperoni pizzas from aldi. 3 pack for the price of 1 Dr Oetker. Obviously nowhere near as good but I put another one in half way through eating the first.

Leo

(they don't have good sausages here, only cold meats and really dense brazilian ones for the bbq)

hold on: I'm Portuguese and grew up with linguiça and chouriço in nearly every dish! what's not to love about a linguiça pizza, chouriço sandwich, pieces thrown into any soup, etc.?

Leo

last night was homemade kale soup with potatoes, carrots, onion with crusty bread. leftovers tonight.

peasants.