Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinner of the Day.

Most dishes chilli for us too - but I thought that a stew doesn't usually have those, well not a British one anyway. Sure they wouldn't harm though. I just worry sometimes that everything I cook has onions, garlic and chilli and am I just making everything taste the same? I like those tastes of course but I don't want to get too repetitive.

leftover homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich. as kids, we'd have tomato soup in the winter after we'd finish shoveling snow from the driveway and sidewalk, it's still weird for me to eat it on just a normal day. it still maintains that "reward for solving snow" connection.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

I ate noodles again but then I got hungry and ate some cheese on toast with spring onion on one and fresh chilli on the other

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Me and my dad left out the dried fruit. We hated dried fruit in savoury food and we pretty much double the spices.

New You, New Stew.
    Dried apricots are a vital part of a lamb tagine - guess you wouldn't be interested in the lamb but I'm sure you could do a similar dish bashed on butternut squash or something.

However I'm 100% with you when it comes to raisins and sultanas in savoury food. Just no. Not ever. Vile.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Spicy prawn and corn chowder as previously advertised... delicious.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Leo

Last night was pasta, nothing too exciting.

This evening we had something I invented years ago, in my student days: jalfrezi cottage pie. Really nice, great to eat on a cold day in front of the fire.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Last night was pasta, nothing too exciting.

This evening we had something I invented years ago, in my student days: jalfrezi cottage pie. Really nice, great to eat on a cold day in front of the fire.
    description, please. photos optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    description, please. photos optional.
    Cottage pie cept the beef is cooked in jalfrezi sauce. Out of a jar is fine, you don't gotta be Madhur Jaffrey about it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

ah, ok...I know it as Shepard's pie.

Shepherd's pie is with lamb though, cottage pie is with beef.

I think that's right, certainly shepherd's pie is with lamb. Is there a pork version called Swineherd's pie or something?

Also I'm eating some Portuguese ckes... Leo do you know what they might be called, they are tasty dough bites with a softer centre flavoured with honey and nuts and perhaps orange (I think).

You a fan of Nata, Rich?

pasteis-de-nata-rezept.jpg

I love em. It's like the custard tart end of level boss
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Also I'm eating some Portuguese ckes... Leo do you know what they might be called, they are tasty dough bites with a softer centre flavoured with honey and nuts and perhaps orange (I think).
    hmm, not familiar with those. fwiw, the Portuguese neighborhood where I grew up in the states has some slightly different foods compared to what we found in Lisbon. the vast majority of people in my old neighborhood have family roots in the Azores, not the mainland.

also, we used the term Shepard's pie to cover any sort of meat, which obviously is incorrect.

Ok turns out they are called broa castelar - apparently they are made out of sweet potato and are mainly a Christmas thing which explains why we just saw em appear today. If you do an image search you will find them.
    Yeah love the custard things... especially with a bit of cinnamon.