IdleRich

IdleRich
Thank you! And you too. Today we are taking it easy, just coking for us and the cats... judging by the tray of lamb and duck we just stuck in the oven I would say appetites remain large.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so in order to avoid being the saddo describing his dinner in great detail to some weirdos on the internet on Christmas day, I shall describe what we shall be having for dinner tomorrow.

* Starter of smoked salmon with cream cheese on Scottish oatcakes, with lemon juice and black pepper; champagne.

* Palate cleanser of sloe gin with tonic and elderflower cordial;

* Topside of beef, roasted nice and rare, with a crust comprised of English and wholegrain mustards, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and powdered ceps, with rosemary sprigs and garlic slivers implanted into the meat;

* Leeks in cheese sauce - the sauce contains extra mature cheddar, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, mustard and powdered parasol mushrooms, with grated cheddar and parmesan on top;

* King Edwards and sweet potatoes, roasted in olive oil, with chopped fresh rosemary, mixed herbs and sea salt;

* Braised mushrooms (ceps, winter chanterelles and horse mushrooms) with garlic and onion in red wine;

* Braised red cabbage (cheated and bought a microwave-ready portion);

* Haven't decided what red to serve yet, but probably Gigondas or Vacqueyras.

* Then Christmas pudding with custard and/or brandy butter; dessert wine.

Leo

Turkey, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts , bread sauce, probably potatoes of some sort, more red wine (waitrose had a tasty Cabernet on sale so got three bottles). Being pretty traditional for Xmas day.

Leo

Yeah, nine days with the wife’s family in Towcester (near Northampton) in the Midlands, then three days in London before heading home on the 30th. Two straight days of sun, a Christmas miracle.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's almost twenty degrees here....
Can't believe we're running out of booze. Thought that we'd bought way too much but I'm actually getting a little worried we might run out. We're down to two cans of lager, one large bottle of beer, one bottle of red, one bottle of champagne, one bottle of sauternes to have with the foie gras, half a bottle of vodka and a couple of mulled wine things from Ikea. Actually it should probably see us through until we go out in a couple of hours...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucking nailed it.

Edit: that's better.

xmas_dinner.jpg

Should vainly point out that I made EVERYTHING, apart from the aforementioned cabbage. Also forgot to mention the gravy, which fucking rocked.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I did a Levi Roots recipe - roast chicken with two stuffings. One of plantain and tomato, inside the bird and one of breadcrumbs, lime zest, rum, sugar, onion, spring onion, under the skin. Nice but I need to do it again and experiment with turning up the flavourings. Plus pigs in blankets, sprouts, parsnips, gravy and lashings of roasties. All negotiated through a non stop tide of cava and craft beers so I was pretty happy with it all.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Today: cheese.

Edit: actually that was just "lunch". We cooked the past bake that, like some sort of absolute madman, I made on Christmas eve along with all the stuff we ate on Christmas day.

Last edited: