DannyL

Wild Horses
Nice one, mate. I hope the little 'uns enjoyed the drama?

Yeah they did! Was over pretty quick though.

One of the things about any recipe is, I think you need to cook it at least twice before you start smoothing off the rough edges, understanding how it works. So was something of a trial run.

Wanted to ask you, is the cep powder you mention all from your own foraging?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Surely leftovers have got to be one of the joys of cooking? Especially at this time of year as you actually have the time to cook 'em all. I made a pie this afternoon from the leftover chicken - just poached the meat in milk with bay, pepper and some sauteed leeks, stirred in some mustard at the end. Made bubble and squeak with the leftover brussel sprouts, potatoes and parsnips for dinner alongside some bacon. My only regret is not making a Xmas cake. I like to mainline it in early January with cheese.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Didn't post for a few days... sorry about that. Christmas day we did a joint of lamb (with anchovy and garlic) and some duck legs with taters and parsnips (cooked in the anchovy oil) and served with red cabbage fried in onion, stuffing and mustard gravy. Oh and some greens boiled in... actually just in water weirdly enough.

20191224_195342.jpg

Today we had roughly the same but with pork as the meat.

20191228_214607.jpg

On boxing day (which doesn't exist here) we went to a bar where our friends work and had really fucking good tapas. Including the below

Lamb skewers with pomegranate

20191226_213913.jpg

Fried feta

20191226_213331.jpg

Prawns etc

20191226_213448.jpg

Falafel and so on.

Last edited:

Leo

Rich, you guys need to write a cookbook, “brits in Portugal” or something. Great stuff.

In London for one more day. Staying in Clerkenwell/Smithfield, decided to go around the corner to St. John last night. Still worth it, best part is it isn’t a “hot” restaurant full of pretentious hipster foodies anymore (since it’s been around for 25 years). Brown crab salad on toast starter was heaven, mild and slightly briney. Salt beef main was good but I’m currently suffering from sodium overload. Ginger loaf with butterscotch sauce for dessert was a return trip to heaven. My pescatarian wife was very happy with her turbot.

Mellsman

You gotta love F. Henderson.

Just polished off our Christmas Turkey in a Pilau.

Got friends over tomorrow.

Can't settle on what to cook.

Thinking braised guinea fowl with fennel and vermouth.

Will report back.

I'm delighted by all the good grub eaten by Dissensians.

I guess good taste is transferable.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice phrase... maybe bad taste too.
Leo, thank you - but to be honest most of my recipes would be "do what Liza tells me when she tells me".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh yeah, agreed, St John is a fantastic restaurant, only been once but loved it and compared to some places it's not bad value for top level food.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Last bit of pork tonight. Sliced it fairly thin and made a truly wonderful toasted sandwich by spreading mayo on both bits of toast and pumping it up with some posh apple chutney, some tomatoes and the leftover raw spring onions from a garnish we had the other day. It was a truly banging sandwich and I'm considering how the cost-effectiveness of a lump of pork will compare with bacon in terms of a sandwich resource... as you can tell I am always wrestling with the biggest and most profound questions here... I do wish I'd added some mustard though... next time I guess.

20191231_054002.jpg

Leo

Leo, did you try any of those places in Towcester?

Amazingly, no, unfortunately. Ended up eating at the rellies most of the time, out one night for burgers with the kids at frank's and another night at the Saracen's Head. But we'll be heading back to Towcester once or twice a year to visit, so I'm sure we'll hit them eventually. they've been to 185 waitling and liked it. The kids aren't very adventurous eaters, so Indian probably not likely.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh god, I knew I should have warned you off the Saracen's! Fucking Greene King. I hate those wankers.

Leo

Yeah, one of those chains. Quite the rowdy mob scene every night as well, drunk young ones freezing as they stand in the court yard and smoke cigs. it's not a thing here to go out drinking with friends on Xmas eve, we always stayed in with family.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They have the unique ability to run pub businesses sited in 16th-century coaching inns and ensure they have all the olde-worlde atmosphere and charm of an airport departure lounge.

Leo

stayed in on NYE and made these these goofy suckers, filled with spinach, mushroom and stilton. they look a bit messy but delicious, with potatoes and peas.

IMG_5846.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Further adventures in pie-land. Made these babies with shortcrust pastry (not a decision, it's just the shop had run out of puff, so to speak) with hen-of-the-woods mushroom, leeks, edamame beans and bacon. Sauce came from white wine, creme fraiche, chicken stock and mustard.

DSC_2755.JPG DSC_2756.JPG

IdleRich

IdleRich
First of the new year... it's cold here so a hearty bean and blue cheese bake with parmesan and breadcrumbs on top is paired with ravioli cooked up with onions, chillis, tomatoes and peppers. And a derisory bit of salad on the side. Playing footie in a bit so not too much now. Already looking forward to pigging out when I get back.

20200106_174139.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Pasta with fried leeks, onion, mushroom, a pinch of mace and a bit of sour cream. Browned panko breadcrumbs on top. A bit beige, but nice. Would've been better with some sort of cured pork product in it, but vegetarians gonna vegetarian.

Leo

an ol' reliable: sardine pasta with sautéed onion, anchovies and panko bread crumbs. I've posted the recipe before, peasant food heaven. the crunchy bread crumbs lightly laced with savory anchovy flavor and bits of sardine in each mouthful of spaghetti, so good.