luka

It stinks. I've never eaten it obviously but I can see why people would avoid something that smells that bad in the same way you might have an instinctive aversion to giant centipedes

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been lazy!

Yesterday I had a prawn sandwich and a bowl of wheetabix.

Today I'm confident that I'll again have a sandwich and a bowl of wheetabix.

I'm on a diet now (day 3). Which basically consists of having meals with occasional pieces of fruit inbetween. I'm fucking starving all the time, but I'll get used to it soon enough.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It stinks. I've never eaten it obviously but I can see why people would avoid something that smells that bad in the same way you might have an instinctive aversion to giant centipedes

I suppose I was thinking more of people who eat meat but hate fish.

Obviously preserved or smoked fish can smell pretty strong, and it's not pleasant if you're not the person eating it, but very fresh fish just fried in some butter with a bit of herbs, lemon juice and garlic smells divine (to me). Or at least it's certainly not worse than, say, a doner kebab - or tobacco or weed smoke, for that matter.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I used to not eat fish but now I do. Honestly stuff like this is not very strong tasting or smelling. I really like prawns but I can understand when some people say they remind them of insects (though I've eaten sone of them so whatecer). But they are so prevalent, cheap and good here that we eat them all the time. Wanna try this recipe I saw for shrimp bisque soon.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I had loads of really vivid dreams last night. Could that be caused by eating half a tin of foie gras at 2am?

Leo

grew up in an area with a fishing industry, eating fresh seafood is one of the pleasures in life.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Love the seafood here. Reminds me of when we used to go from Hackney to Leigh-on-Sea and eat fresh oysters, cockles, winkles and prawns etc by the pint and straight out of the sea. Though the water was a lot warmer in Essex than in Portugal annoyingly.
In Lisbon they don't eat many oysters and scallops so those are actually more expensive than in London - if you ask why not they tell you it's not good - but they love octopus, squid and cuttlefish (I got chatting to a taxi driver who told me about diving for them), clams and mussels and razor clams too. Also percebes and of course prawns, one time when we went to Ramiro we had small prawns, normal prawns, king size prawns, langoustines, crimson shrimp (or is it scarlet), giant tiger prawns and a lobster. There are a few gradations in-between that we didn't have i reckon but bear in mind that the crimson shrimp and tiger prawns are the size of a small lobster and the lobster was the size of a giant lobster.
Also if you travel to a different region eg Setubal which takes less than an hour to drive to then it's a different taste and they do like oysters etc which is strange. Like how you can't get lamb in Lisbon but you can in other regions.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sounds good.

How's the tuna? In Spain it was incredible, textured and supple, like a different fish from the cardboard-like one often served in the UK. Bloody cheap too. And 1 kg of mussels for 1.50 - argh.

Razor clams are amazing.

Leo

scallops are great too, a wonderful mild yet rich flavor. very easy to overcook, though. they cook quickly, wait too long and they end up tough/chewy.

I even genuinely like the smell of a fresh fish market. we must be grossing out luka.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not a big tuna guy but yeah - in my friend's restaurant I see em carry in these huge glistening - I dunno - sides of tuna which they slice steaks off before frying for maybe three secs and serving almost raw in a sandwich.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm not a big tuna guy but yeah - in my friend's restaurant I see em carry in these huge glistening - I dunno - sides of tuna which they slice steaks off before frying for maybe three secs and serving almost raw in a sandwich.

try it, seriously. i gave up eating tuna steaks in the uk because it was so bad

https://www.spainonafork.com/marmitako-basque-tuna-stew-recipe/ this is a delicious way to cook it too (not this particular recipe, but marmitako as a concept)