DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh, I have her book actually but I've never tried it. I'll give it a go. I don't use that book nearly enough. I did use her recipe for pasta and that came out sound.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Le Döner Kebab.

One thing about Germany is the lack of late night shopping. Really miss huge 24 hour supermarkets for walking around in at 2am. There's maybe 3 here. And then on top of that, Sunday, everything's closed. Only a handful of supermarkets are open, and they're all totally rammed. Luckily a kebab is an entire meal. Meat n veg all in one delicious and greasy bite. So when you didn't plan for Sunday its a pretty good option.

nefis gemüse kebab on kottbusser damm, right around hermannplatz makes the best ones in my opinion. recommended!

version

Someone tagged my brother in a photo of a meal consisting of rice, ice cubes and ketchup the other day. I dunno who made or ate it, but I can't stop thinking about it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Same reason as Barty. They live at home and eat what mum puts on the table.

Potentially good thread material.

nefis gemüse kebab on kottbusser damm, right around hermannplatz makes the best ones in my opinion. recommended!

Not tried it. There are so many good ones, though! Just found one in Neukölln a few weeks ago for 2 fiddy that's as good as most of the 4eur ones. No idea what the place is called but I know how to find it. Love me some kalb meat, whatever it is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dinner this evening was sirloin steak in patented cep and smoked paprika steak rub, cooked sous vide, served with wild mushrooms and cheesy leeks. Lashings of bold red wine.

steaks.JPG

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Do you have a sous vide machine, or did you improvise? I remember Al improvised one with a slow cooker.

I feel like you flexing after Patty said you fell off.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Kalb = calf (ie. veal)

If only it were as cut and dry as that, Tea. They find all kinds of meat in there when they test it. Lamb, beef, veal, turkey, sausage (which is pretty much anything; toes, cartilage, nostrils)

Do you have a sous vide machine, or did you improvise? I remember Al improvised one with a slow cooker.

I feel like you flexing after Patty said you fell off.

He needed a nudge.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Actually paternity leave is the best time to cook. Think it worked out to be about two months for me (might have that wrong). You become a caveman, just go out and hunt (i.e. go to shops) and cook all afternoon while the missus and baby nap. You all becomes this little self contained unit, interlopers, well wishers and all other responsibilities can get to fuck.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, very good, lads.

The steak rub is 'patented' in that I invented it. I've mentioned it here before: dried powdered ceps (I used the tube material that a lot of foragers foolishly discard), smoked paprika, garlic granules, pepper and sea salt.

The sous vide 'machine' is just a sauce pan inside another pan. We've got a couple of reusable pouches bought for the purpose. Cooking for four today, so we used a couple of ziploc bags from IKEA as well (they have two seals, much better than ones you get from supermarkets for this purpose). And it was a special dinner of sorts as we had in-not-quite-laws over (er, if you get me).

Dan: I know what you mean about the caveman thing. it's very satisfying. And it's even better when it's food you've foraged! I wonder if anyone here has killed animals for food? My money would be on HMGovt.

luka

Joe Rogans always going on about having a freezer full of elk he's shot so I reckon corpsey might have been inspired to take the air rifle out. Bag a squirrel or a nice plump wood pigeon.