version

Sometimes I wonder what Burroughs and McLuhan would say about our present situation, but then they already said it, really. This stuff seems just as applicable today as it was when it was published, if not moreso.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Now that I think of it, this stuff is primed to be subsumed by growth economics, a field which seems to have its consensus tilting toward the notion that technology is the central engine of capitalism, with labour and capital playing roles that don't allow for exponential scaling like technology does, i.e. Moore's Law.

Another step toward experimental, philosophic theory becoming useful to single-bottom line businesspeople and technicians.

version

Now that I think of it, this stuff is primed to be subsumed by growth economics, a field which seems to have its consensus tilting toward the notion that technology is the central engine of capitalism,
Is that not a bit of a chicken - egg situation?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Totally, a feedback loop for sure. But I think the central thesis here is that economic growth via "technological and related innovation" is more feasible and scalable than such growth via expansion of population and/or work week. Those two have limits, or at least more overt ones, whereas innovation itself is largely defined by finding more efficient expenditures of resources, and in theory can advance indefinitely.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Really it makes a lot of sense to me, and I see how and why this could become the consensus, especially if policymakers have big tech in their portfolios.

Benny Bunter

Got this today and read first few chapters. I'm thinking this might be the one to read that makes sense of the whole Burroughs project, for someone who's only read Naked Lunch, some of the more straightforward ones like Junky and Queer, and listened to bits and bobs of all the recorded material that's out there.

Good thread btw, hats off to Luka and version. Shame on Corpsey obviously: No good no bueno

version

Yeah, I'm re-reading Nova Express now. I prefer the Central and South American jungles of The Soft Machine as a setting, but this one feels more incisive.

If you've got the 'restored' edition, the Oliver Harris intro's worth reading.

Benny Bunter

Yeah that's the edition I've got, the intro's really good. I wish I'd ordered the restored soft machine now, I think the one I've got coming is a standard one.

version

They're the ones to get, imo. I find the introductions and additional stuff interesting. I had this bare bones green copy of SM for a while which I gave to one of my brothers with a mind to replacing with the restored one I have now.

WilliamSBurroughs_SoftMachine_OwenFreeman.png

Benny Bunter

I like how in the intro he puts so much emphasis on how all the naked lunch/cut up era is a multimedia project. Listening to that recording of Hassan's last words with that creepy ambience on the recording really enhances reading it. I want to listen to more recordings that same sound, do you know of any more? There's so much out there

Benny Bunter

They're the ones to get, imo. I find the introductions and additional stuff interesting. I had this bare bones green copy of SM for a while which I gave to one of my brothers with a mind to replacing with the restored one I have now.

WilliamSBurroughs_SoftMachine_OwenFreeman.png
I think that's the one I've ordered. I think I might have read it before years ago too, probably got it out of HMV for 2.99 back in the day

version

I like how in the intro he puts so much emphasis on how all the naked lunch/cut up era is a multimedia project. Listening to that recording of Hassan's last words with that creepy ambience on the recording really enhances reading it. I want to listen to more recordings that same sound, do you know of any more? There's so much out there

This is the film mentioned in the introduction.

And this is a good one.