Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nova Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    It took me a long time to get it through my head that WSB was quite a terrible person. Misogynist, pederast sex tourist, wife killer, conspiracy-theorising crank, someone who evaded responsibility all his life long due to family money and connections. He had a magnetic quality all the same. I treasured all the writings, including the collected letters, the dream diary, the essays ("Women: A Biological Mistake?"). He seemed like someone who had made a breakthrough of some kind; and actually, in terms of what literature is capable of, I really think he did.
    I've noticed there are some terrible people who are sort of likeable and who I have to remind myself of how terrible they are and some where it just isn't an issue, even if I like their work, because I just don't like them. Burroughs would be an example of the former, Celine and Henry Miller the latter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Version tell corpsey to read the book with us this weekend. He will regret it if he doesn't cos he will feel left out and isolated. Desperate lonely.
    I didn't realise I was reading it this weekend either tbh. I can though. And Corpsey should too.

You are yeah. Starting this weekend finishing by Friday. We could start earlier but I think yyaldrin said he's not ready till the weekend.

I got A User's Guide to the Millennium too.

You've read that already haven't you? Sure you've quoted from it here

You've read that already haven't you? Sure you've quoted from it here
    Nah. I think I might have read some of the pieces included in it online, but haven't read the book.

Ballard has a line I've never forgotten about how miniaturization will eventually result in computing devices just becoming part of the fabric of reality, pursuing their own infra-human goals in the background of everything. I feel like we're nearly there already.

Kinga
    Feb 19, 2013
    Kinga rated it did not like it
    I know it is experimental. It reminds me of those alchemists' experiments when they tried to produce gold from excrements. And failed. Ultimately they were just dabbling in shit.

Shauny_32
    Jul 21, 2015
    Shauny_32 rated it did not like it
    Self-indulgent shite. Not enjoyable. I love Most of Burroughs work including Naked Lunch but this was too inpenetrable. It just was not fun. It was simply a junkie tapping away at his type writer, alone in his cheap motel room thinking how great it might be to write a book completely fucked. Sorry pal, it's shite.

Jeff rated it did not like it
    Shelves: science-fiction, did-not-finish
    UNREADABLE.

Benjamin Hare
    May 27, 2019
    Benjamin Hare rated it did not like it
    Shelves: science-fiction, nebula1966
    To call this book trash would be an insult to trash. In order to adequately convey my level of disgust with this work would require a descent into profanity, or perhaps biology. The contents are a word salad masquerading as a novel; there are grammatically correct sentences grouped into chapters, but that is the extent of itís qualification as literature. What story exists in the smear of senseless text isnít worth the long effort required to drag it out. Iíve read that William S. Burroughs was a genius, but having slogged my way through this affront to literature, I can henceforth ignore any statements regarding the supposed intelligence of the author.

Hopefully, I never have to read anything remotely like ďNova ExpressĒ again in my lifetime. When I finished the book I tore out all the pages and chucked the pieces into the rubbish bin. This book is a waste of time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Ticket that Exploded was Kpunks favourite.
    What did he like about that one over the others?

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Kinga
    Feb 19, 2013
    Kinga rated it did not like it
    I know it is experimental. It reminds me of those alchemists' experiments when they tried to produce gold from excrements. And failed. Ultimately they were just dabbling in shit.

Shauny_32
    Jul 21, 2015
    Self-indulgent shite. Not enjoyable. I love Most of Burroughs work including Naked Lunch but this was too inpenetrable. It just was not fun. It was simply a junkie tapping away at his type writer, alone in his cheap motel room thinking how great it might be to write a book completely fucked. Sorry pal, it's shite.

Jeff rated it did not like it
    Shelves: science-fiction, did-not-finish
    UNREADABLE.

Benjamin Hare
    May 27, 2019
    Benjamin Hare rated it did not like it
    Shelves: science-fiction, nebula1966
    To call this book trash would be an insult to trash. In order to adequately convey my level of disgust with this work would require a descent into profanity, or perhaps biology. The contents are a word salad masquerading as a novel; there are grammatically correct sentences grouped into chapters, but that is the extent of itís qualification as literature. What story exists in the smear of senseless text isnít worth the long effort required to drag it out. Iíve read that William S. Burroughs was a genius, but having slogged my way through this affront to literature, I can henceforth ignore any statements regarding the supposed intelligence of the author.

Hopefully, I never have to read anything remotely like ďNova ExpressĒ again in my lifetime. When I finished the book I tore out all the pages and chucked the pieces into the rubbish bin. This book is a waste of time.
    well, i was watching some interviews with burroughs yesterday and he did say that he took his cut-up method too far at some points. getting too excited by the technique. also, he mentioned that there are two different versions (english and american) of nova express.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Kinga

Love this review.

Dunno if I can be bothered to read this impenetrable shite.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Love this review.

Dunno if I can be bothered to read this impenetrable shite.
    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. image.jpg

Of WSB I have read only Junky and Naked Lunch (when I was too young to make any sense of it whatsoever)
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Yeah well you're reading another one this weekend. You know how self improvement makes you feel better about yourself. In control. On the right track. At ease with your conscience

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: