Your first phone

version

What was it? How did you feel about it? Some of you will have been adults by the time they were widely available but getting your own phone was particularly liberating as a teenager. One of those first moments of feeling like your own person. I actually still have mine, never broke so I never upgraded it.

luka

I resisted for a long time. Would have got my first around 2002. It was forced on me by a builder named Neal Hudson I was working for. He gave me his old Motorola. Turned out it made picking up weed easier so I came round to the idea.

luka

Remember you could choose the message your phone displayed? Maybe as you turned it on or was it there on the screen the whole time? I've forgotten. Anyway Neal's said 'Trust No One' he'd been burned a few times by other people and I guess he didn't want it happening again.

Leo

I resisted for awhile but had to get one when I became self-employed in 2002. it was one of those Nokia candy bar phones, the screen was about two inches by an inch-and-a-half, only displayed text (no images) and couldn't access the web. calls and text only. it was certainly liberating, talking to someone while walking down the street seemed decadent, would only do it if it was an emergency and would make the call as brief as possible for fear of appearing obnoxious. I was also so paranoid about battery life that at first I used to leave it turned off and would only turn it on when I had to make a call. then it dawned on me that that largely defeated the purpose of having a mobile phone!

IdleRich

IdleRich
First phone was in 2000 I think, 2001 maybe. I got it off my Mum cos she didn't need it any more. It was blue. But yeah, total generational divide thing. The other day was chatting with a guy here, maybe 15 years younger than me and I was arguing that I was part of the last generation that didn't grow up with the internet. He claimed that he was also part of the pre-internet generation cos "I didn't have my own laptop until I was 14".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Before that I was at university and no-one had phones... or maybe one person every now and again and you would think (maybe say) - ooh get that flash bast.

version

That you had to tell people to get off the phone when you wanted to use the internet seems almost prehistoric now.