Thread: The Special Relationship

Default The Special Relationship

Did it ever really exist? How do you see relations between the UK and US developing in the future? It seems closer ties are inevitable if Brexit goes ahead as this isn't a world where you can really 'go it alone', particularly when you're the size of the UK.

This business with the diplomat's wife isn't particularly encouraging.

UK urges U.S. to rethink immunity for diplomat's wife after crash - https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1WK0B7

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s foreign minister on Saturday urged the United States to reconsider its decision to let a U.S. diplomat’s wife who was involved in a fatal car crash to use her diplomatic immunity to leave Britain.

Harry Dunn, 19, died after a road collision near RAF Croughton, an air force base in Northamptonshire in central England that is used by the United States.

“I wish to offer my condolences to the family affected by this tragic incident,” Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said in a statement.

Police said they had applied for a waiver from diplomatic immunity to allow investigations and an interview.

“Unfortunately we were latterly advised that the waiver had been declined and the suspect had left the UK,” Northamptonshire Police Superintendent Sarah Johnson told Sky News television.

Raab said he regretted the U.S. decision.

“I have called the U.S. Ambassador to express the UK’s disappointment with their decision, and to urge the Embassy to re-consider it,” he said.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in London said: “Any questions regarding a waiver of immunity with regard to our diplomats and their family members overseas in a case like this receive intense attention at senior levels.

“The U.S. Embassy continues to be in close contact with the appropriate British officials.”

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    This business with the diplomat's wife isn't particularly encouraging.
    UK urges U.S. to rethink immunity for diplomat's wife after crash - https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1WK0B7
    Not particularly no.
    Changing the subject (or emphasis at least), but what would you do in that situation? You killed some innocent through your own... idiocy, yet you can escape unscathed. For your whole life people will be whispering "She's the one who killed that guy and fucked off" - hard to live with you'd think. Maybe easier than jail. But then again I doubt she's looking at twenty years hard labour.

I'm not sure, but I don't think her leaving is the real story here. The real story is whether or not the US allow it.

that scene in alien when the alien is opening its big slimy mouth and its tongue is a baby-alien. that is i think how the uk gave birth to the usa.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

It exists but it's mostly a thing of the 20. + 21st Century. After all, the Brits set the White House on Fire in 1812.