Delusions of Grandeur

sufi

lala
What's your favorite?

One of mine's that i need to keep self-medicating copiously to suppress myself from turning capitalist, taking over the world etc 🔥 :poop: etc

The "Special Relationship" thread may also be relevant

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Increasingly my delusions of grandeur are retrospective, as I begin to worry ceaselessly about how I've thrown away all my potential and my brain has begun to rot.

What's particularly dispiriting is when I read something I wrote when I was younger and it shows that I never was, or could have been, the genius I longed to be.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
How about this one for a doozy, you never believed you were any good in the first place but somehow managed to inadvertently hoodwink people into believing you were so they kept you afloat waiting for you to let it out but it was never there to begin with. And at the same time inflating you with a weird confidence you always knew was unearned.

woops

is not like other people
How about this one for a doozy, you never believed you were any good in the first place but somehow managed to inadvertently hoodwink people into believing you were so they kept you afloat waiting for you to let it out but it was never there to begin with. And at the same time inflating you with a weird confidence you always knew was unearned.

this is what they call impostor syndrome isn't it.

martin

----
If I’d invented a pain-free, instant cure for cancer at the age of 7 – in between perfecting battery-powered cars, bringing peace to the Middle East and becoming the youngest person to sail round the world on a car tyre – showing the faintest whiff of ‘pride’ in these achievements would made me Little Lord Fauntleroy and got me a righteous lecture from my parents about how they’d done all that at the age of 6 while having to walk to school 10 miles in the snow in bare feet with consumption and living on handfuls of maggots.

So no, I have no delusions of grandeur.

Think Sufi taking over the world wouldn’t be that bad, tbh.

Leo

maybe not grandeur per se, but believing that siting all day in front of a computer is totally fine for my health, and that I will in fact start working out next month and it will quickly take care of that small pot belly I've temporarily developed. also that my dad and all his brothers dying of heart attacks isn't really relevant to MY chances of reaching a ripe old age.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That an original Sid Viscous tune on 12" got played in a 700-capacity club in Peckham.

poetix

we murder to dissect
A small yet belligerent part of me occasionally pops up insisting I'm a genius, and the rest of me keeps telling it to shut up and go away. But I do put a lot of effort into trying to be clever, as if I could appease the grandiose part by living partway up to its imaginings.

luka

You're cleverer than me in a lot of ways which indisputably qualifies you as genius level.

poetix

we murder to dissect
You're cleverer than me in a lot of ways which indisputably qualifies you as genius level.

Collusions of grandeur! (But these are a large part of how scenius works: people reciprocally persuade one another that their efforts are worthwhile)

version

I sometimes feel as though I'm going to do something brilliant one day but that it will just happen without me ever actually doing anything.

poetix

we murder to dissect
I sometimes feel as though I'm going to do something brilliant one day but that it will just happen without me ever actually doing anything.

It is to be observed that 'slowness' is the necessary ethical and physical preparative for that 'quality of a sudden vision of intuition or glimpse into things', that 'inevitable swiftness and rightness in a given field' which, for Pound, was the essential virtù of 'genius'. Here too he is in accord with Allen Upward, who noted in his autobiography 'I wrote The New Word in a fortnight. I had been composing it for twenty-five years'

(Geoffrey Hill, Collected Critical Writings, pp. 254-255)

I sometimes tell myself that this - the "composing" part - is what I'm doing...

poetix

we murder to dissect
But am haunted by the Peter Cook anecdote in which Cook meets someone at a party who tells him that he's writing a book - "oh really?", Cook replies, "neither am I".