Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uploading images to Dissensus

it would be ads for not-logged-in users i reckon,

not a bad scheme, i have thought about it vaguely but don't like the idea of having google embedded (though they are already tracking us with analytics non- stop btw)
    https://stream-seo.com/best-google-a...-alternatives/

if we monetise then we can fix the software after all

What's U75?

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Sorry to be boring (yes itís about time John apologised etc etc) and sorry if itís been done...

Seems like you can upload jpgs but not jpegs on here? Which is what iPhone screenshots are?

That canít be right can it?
    the intention would be to make it as hard as possible for soft-handed iphone users to contribute, yes i like that

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Sorry to be boring (yes itís about time John apologised etc etc) and sorry if itís been done...
    give it a try now

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    water filter ads.
    what version did is known as branded content, where a client pays for an "ad" that's designed to resemble editorial. It used to referred to as "advertorial" content. version probably received a flat fee (he is an influencer, after all) plus commissions on click-throughs and sales.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    I got what I think is a serious offer to buy this place yesterday. The main appeal of that would be someone who knows what they are doing the caretaker/admin role
    the prospective buyer (didnt say how much) seems to have done deals like that before as there are lots of mentions of buyouts by them on other forums (particularly it seems huntin and fishin forums in the US!?!)

there are a few options to do a total upgrade onto a different software that is still maintained, like that of U75 (zenforo) or 555-555 (Discourse i think), as VB is imho past it. I think some of the customisations and fun stuff, like the tags and that would proably drop off in the migration, but it might be the right thing to do longterm

also, i tried to get the internet archive to mirror abut 20,000 youtubes from dissensus' first decade or so a while ago, they were up fr it, but i'm not sure whether they got around to it,
    the british library have confirmed that they will make an archive tho, so that's kinda i'm interested to know how they will do it, as it's not altogether a trivial task. I have got a simple static (ie HTML, doesn't need internet server, databases etc but no images or extra goodies like tags) copy of the site, just in case, like

or downgrade your phone?
    um, sufi...this is huge news, deserves it's own thread and discussion!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    what version did is known as branded content, where a client pays for an "ad" that's designed to resemble editorial. It used to referred to as "advertorial" content. version probably received a flat fee (he is an influencer, after all) plus commissions on click-throughs and sales.
    It's true. It paid for my apple and bowl of cornflakes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Leo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

why would anyone want to buy dissensus? don't get me wrong i love this website but it's just 20-30 regulars and a bunch of visitors isn't it? is that already enough to get money out of it?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    why would anyone want to buy dissensus? don't get me wrong i love this website but it's just 20-30 regulars and a bunch of visitors isn't it? is that already enough to get money out of it?
    Shh you will spoil it.

yyaldrin with the cold splash of water to the face
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Honestly, here is Sufi trying to broker a life-changing deal and you guys are just NOT helping.

i dunno, i consider this a collective enterprise, maybe Leo can handle the negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    i dunno, i consider this a collective enterprise, maybe Leo can handle the negotiations.
    Leo would get my vote too, but we need Barty in the background as his sidekick I reckon. Be good to demonstrate how Dissensus appeals to an multigenerational audience.