john eden

male pale and stale
Sorry to be boring (yes it’s about time John apologised etc etc) and sorry if it’s been done...

Seems like you can upload jpgs but not jpegs on here? Which is what iPhone screenshots are?

That can’t be right can it?

luka

I can do pictures if I take the picture on dissensus if you know what I mean but I've lost the ability to do anything else. Barty and version seem to be fine though so maybe it's only affecting the elderly

sadmanbarty

its a bit tricky uploading a url. most of them are 'invalid'.

if anyone could do magic to stop that happening that would be much appreciated.

firefinga

Sorry to be boring (yes it’s about time John apologised etc etc) and sorry if it’s been done...

Seems like you can upload jpgs but not jpegs on here? Which is what iPhone screenshots are?

have you tried renaming it meaning cross out the "e"? Believe it or not, that sometimes works at least in windows

john eden

male pale and stale
have you tried renaming it meaning cross out the "e"? Believe it or not, that sometimes works at least in windows

Yeah I can do that on a proper computer but it seems like a right faff on a phone or tablet.

“Proper computer” lol I am so fucking old.

sufi

lala
I can, or you can, see what the internet recommends "vbulletin 4 upload jpeg" sort of search term?
we're on the last version of vb4, which is getting pretty old now, but still working and customisable, just about - if you can find a recipe i'll try and fix it!

I got what I think is a serious offer to buy this place yesterday. The main appeal of that would be someone who knows what they are doing the caretaker/admin role
the prospective buyer (didnt say how much) seems to have done deals like that before as there are lots of mentions of buyouts by them on other forums (particularly it seems huntin and fishin forums in the US!?!)

there are a few options to do a total upgrade onto a different software that is still maintained, like that of U75 (zenforo) or 555-555 (Discourse i think), as VB is imho past it. I think some of the customisations and fun stuff, like the tags and that would proably drop off in the migration, but it might be the right thing to do longterm

also, i tried to get the internet archive to mirror abut 20,000 youtubes from dissensus' first decade or so a while ago, they were up fr it, but i'm not sure whether they got around to it,
the british library have confirmed that they will make an archive tho, so that's kinda :cool: i'm interested to know how they will do it, as it's not altogether a trivial task. I have got a simple static (ie HTML, doesn't need internet server, databases etc but no images or extra goodies like tags) copy of the site, just in case, like

or downgrade your phone?

sufi

lala
the image upload function was sadly much better before they upgraded it in the latest vb editions, the latest version is :poop:

sufi

lala

the intention would be to make it as hard as possible for soft-handed iphone users to contribute, yes i like that

Leo

water filter ads.

what version did is known as branded content, where a client pays for an "ad" that's designed to resemble editorial. It used to referred to as "advertorial" content. version probably received a flat fee (he is an influencer, after all) plus commissions on click-throughs and sales.

Leo

I got what I think is a serious offer to buy this place yesterday. The main appeal of that would be someone who knows what they are doing the caretaker/admin role
the prospective buyer (didnt say how much) seems to have done deals like that before as there are lots of mentions of buyouts by them on other forums (particularly it seems huntin and fishin forums in the US!?!)

there are a few options to do a total upgrade onto a different software that is still maintained, like that of U75 (zenforo) or 555-555 (Discourse i think), as VB is imho past it. I think some of the customisations and fun stuff, like the tags and that would proably drop off in the migration, but it might be the right thing to do longterm

also, i tried to get the internet archive to mirror abut 20,000 youtubes from dissensus' first decade or so a while ago, they were up fr it, but i'm not sure whether they got around to it,
the british library have confirmed that they will make an archive tho, so that's kinda :cool: i'm interested to know how they will do it, as it's not altogether a trivial task. I have got a simple static (ie HTML, doesn't need internet server, databases etc but no images or extra goodies like tags) copy of the site, just in case, like

or downgrade your phone?

um, sufi...this is huge news, deserves it's own thread and discussion!!

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
why would anyone want to buy dissensus? don't get me wrong i love this website but it's just 20-30 regulars and a bunch of visitors isn't it? is that already enough to get money out of it?