Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Conceptronica

"We conducted a thought experiment. We said, well what if meme magic is real? And why not? Our notion of reality and the possible has been wrenched out of joint over the last few years and that is really another way of saying magic has re-entered the circuit. This is no longer a mechanical cause and effect universe. So why not take them at their word? This combination of word and image endlessly reproduced on screens all over the world really is creating change in accordance with the magician's will. That was the premise the music coalesced around."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    "We conducted a thought experiment. We said, well what if meme magic is real? And why not? Our notion of reality and the possible has been wrenched out of joint over the last few years and that is really another way of saying magic has re-entered the circuit. This is no longer a mechanical cause and effect universe. So why not take them at their word? This combination of word and image endlessly reproduced on screens all over the world really is creating change in accordance with the magician's will. That was the premise the music coalesced around."
    i haven't listened to that one yet. it's such a genius idea i don't want to ruin it. i'd rather just let the idea of that music exist in my head than ruin it with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    did you actually listen to the song they're referring to? it's literally just a lazy aphex rip off with a few toaster popping noises chucked in.
    Well this is versions contention isn't it? That it's just a sales brochure to dignify what, in actuality, is paint by number electronica. Anything but cutting edge. Ironic really.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Well this is versions contention isn't it? That it's just a sales brochure to dignify what, in actuality, is paint by number electronica. Anything but cutting edge. Ironic really.
    i suppose so, but it's just mad. having these huge conversations about something that doesn't really exist.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's also worth noting that the majority of us on here appear to be straight white guys so we're not exactly the target audience or coming at some of these records from the same angle as they're being made. The records dealing with identity anyway. The stuff that's just silly conceptual things about time and space or whatever is a different story.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Verizon came under heavy criticism from fellow artists for making music deemed heteronormative. "It's appropriation plain and simple" explained queer Angolan-Dutch artist Yardren. "This is a music made by and for the marginalised exploring our conditions within oppressive societies. It's a cultural safe spade which [Verizon] is impeding."
    i've only just heard about this music and it's already eating it's own!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

I'd be interested in hearing which releases blissblog likes when it comes to this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post

i knew you'd pick that bit out! i had no idea what the fuck they were on about.
    'Conceptual' artists are stuck in a loop. I guess that's the concept.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chava For This Useful Post:

"It started with a joke and became an object of serious investigation. Xander asked me, what if, at the height of their infatuation with jungle, Mark Fisher and Nick Land had actually made a jungle record? How might their conceptual discoveries and innovations find musical form? How would the nummogram be represented rhythmically for instance? How to invoke/evoke it's presiding gatekeepers, demons and deities? It grew from there to become almost this breakbeat symphony in which every musical decision has a conceptual justification. This is where we differ from a lot of the other people you have shunted into the 'conceptronica' siding. This is a tremendously rigorous work with sound and concept mapped out one-one."

Unfortunate echoes of Goldie's 'breakbeat symphonies' there which I guess goes to show how far removed these people are from actual dance music discourse. There's no respect for the source material and how, as Kodwo Eshun went to some pains to explain, it is already conceptual and to a very high degree. This is the frustratingly regressive aspect to all this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I like some of the music, but hate the part of having interpretations imposed on me. Takes everything interesting out of it and reduces it to a fixed posture. Maybe some of these artists wanna make statements more than art, let alone music.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

Well Reynolds makes a very good case for them being what he calls a "scab class of grant vultures" that is to say what they do is predetermined by the market and they have no goal beyond building and sustaining a career.

"As he explains from his Richmond, Virginia home, he envisions merging Paradiso with his current project—a book/soundtrack titled Eroica, based on his fine arts master thesis—and developing the composite into spin-offs in other media: a film, a graphic novel, a play, an art exhibition, even garment production. “It’s like these layers upon layers,” he says."

This is Exactly what has happened in hip-hop for many, many years, spin offs into other media such as branded vodka, shoes, t-shirts, energy drinks, TV shows, video games. "Layers upon layers."
    Last edited by luka; 11-10-2019 at 10:10 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

The whole article reads like a parody. The vacuousness of the 'concepts' and the explicit inadequacy of the music make it seem like some KLF art-prank. People who have set their minds on being an 'artist' without having the slightest idea of what that might entail,, without having anything to impart, being sent into this inept, art-student scrabble for ideas to fill these empty spaces. The end of year show is approaching, what are you going to do Sophie?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: