thirdform

pass the sick bucket
like this is boring and pointless. it does nothing. that's why it sucks. actual gabber is 100000 times more interesting.

(no offense to the person behind it who I'm sure is very nice and well meaning)

It's not bloody hardcore techno, is what it is! It's like me making a noise jazz racket and calling it an ode to korn fans licking each others smegma in the PE changing room (primark set.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the other answer is that it actually wasn't possible, even then

the 60s counterculture was ultimately a total failure, and it was recuperated fairly quickly

all that's happened is that the recuperation process is much faster, and carried out ever more by the creators themselves

being an artist has always been to some extent about self-branding and self-promotion, but now it's an endless grind of almost nothing but that ("on all available platforms")

another thing big thing is the complete dissolution of the difference between work and leisure time; all time not working is time you could be working (tweeting, read emails, whatever)

I mean this is my view, that it never really happened, save isolated incidents like amon duul housing people from the Baader–Meinhof group.

It's why I must admit I was quite infuriated with k-punks theorisation of acid communism where he wanted to make politics psychedelic. I found myself heavily nodding my head at Matt's criticisms of trying to rehabilitate a so-called counter-culture when most of its participants were hardcore right libertarians or (at the time, downwardly mobile middle class.) mmm good point there, I think the dregs of left activism are trying to reclaim some legitimacy with the yout dem without interrogating their historical failures. never say I am unreceptive to the conservative criticisms of liberal leftism, if formulated with sobriety.

However, had Mark broken with his labour party onanism (not to speak ill of the dead but it was essentially self-masturbation) he would have realised that trueskool psychedelia involves smashing the fortresses of all politics as symbols of an alienated, atomised and inhuman society. luke is quite right to note that politics is basically a developed form of tribalistic thinking, except because most of us are sedentary, the bonds break and it starts to dominate us rather than us dominating the organs that we have created to manage the affairs of a complex society.

quote from baba Engels:

What had been the characteristic attribute of the former state? Society had created its own organs to look after its common interests, originally through simple division of labor. But these organs, at whose head was the state power, had in the course of time, in pursuance of their own special interests, transformed themselves from the servants of society into the masters of society, as can be seen, for example, not only in the hereditary monarchy, but equally also in the democratic republic. Nowhere do “politicians” form a more separate, powerful section of the nation than in North America. There, each of the two great parties which alternately succeed each other in power is itself in turn controlled by people who make a business of politics, who speculate on seats in the legislative assemblies of the Union as well as of the separate states, or who make a living by carrying on agitation for their party and on its victory are rewarded with positions.
and this one from baba karl:

“The centralized State machinery which, with its ubiquitous and complicated military, bureaucratic, clerical and judiciary organs, entoils (enmeshes) the living civil society like a boa constrictor, was first forged in the days of absolute monarchy as a weapon of nascent modern society in its struggle of emancipation from feudalism ... The first French Revolution with its task to found national unity (to create a nation) . . . was, therefore, forced to develop, what absolute monarchy had commenced, the centralization and organization of State power, and to expand the circumference and the attributes of the State power, the number of its tools, its independence, and its supernaturalist sway of real society . . . Every minor solitary interest engendered by the relations of social groups was separated from society itself, fixed and made independent of it and opposed to it in the form of State interest, administered by State priests with exactly determined hierarchical functions.”

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yes

it was functional. it was praxis. whereas virtually all the self-consciously conceptual dance music I've heard is almost solely theory.

I disagree with your dualisms here both. the problem is not that older dance music was not theoretical (I mean the afrocuban drum fills in disco/harder jazz funk disprove this for starters.) The problem is there isn't a theory. saying shit is fucked up, capitalism is bad is not theory, it's just guilt. if I were to accept your dualism as something self-evident, then I'd have to side with Lenin (not necessarily one of my heroes I must say) without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary practice. practical dance music on its own is jump up, EDM, etc.

I really wish this kind of white people are mathematical whereas non-whites are not dualism just not crop up on this forum, with all respects patty why do you always seem to inadvertently do this? I know it's not your intention and all but you could phrase things a bit better imo. I mean, muslims brought algebraic equations to the west, otherwise you lot would still be throwing ur shit out in plastic bags to decay in the streets :)

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Barty said this is his favourite one.

I like Sophie because it's an artpop take on like bubblegum and happy hardcore whereas kate bush is like fucking opera and emily dickenson victorian shite, which i have no time for.

So I like Sophie because I put her in a continuum she probably shouldn't be in.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
just skimmed thru. I see what you mean. still doesn't interest me but at least it's not buried under the ponderous weight of its concept and history.

"Ghost" is pretty passable late ca. late 94-turn of 95 jungle tune, which ain't something to scoff at.

yeah but check tim reaper/globex. It's trueskool modern jungle done with intensity. but ultimately what's wrong with that? I know barty might perhaps scoff but following the whimsy of capitalist trends itself is an abdication of responsibilitty, just like deconstructed club referencing nuum where it's like they have listened to a 101 drum and bass hits or ultimate ragga jungle anthems compilation. the fact is, the hardcore continuum has always had more in common with the rare soul/rare groove/reggae digger continuums than some of its champions would be comfortable with admitting. proletarian aristocratism > bourgeois diversity.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

yeah none of it is earth shattering or evenn innovative (necessarily) but does it need to be? what if we just love that sound? ultimately the search for innovation in the auteur is a beatnik concept, not an avant-yob one.

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
"Semioblitz" would have been brilliant as a title for a fucked-up future rave tune, with no exposition or explanation. Sad it's destined to wither in the art-blurb desert.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The problem is there isn't a theory
most "conceptronica" proper things self-evidently have some kind of theory, so a praxis model makes sense

it's probably true that retroactively applying it to older dance music isn't fair

i.e. as the article says the "politics" of dance music have traditionally been implicit, bar the occasional thing like UR (and even that mostly unrefined beyond an air of militancy)

"concept" would have been a better word than theory wrt older dance music, albeit like politics there may be implicit theory to some degree

i.e. "Is It All Over My Face" doesn't have theory in the way conceptronica does

but it is about libidinous energy, sexuality and gender identity (i.e. there both Male + Female versions of the song) and implicitly the underlying power dynamics

and in that way it definitely seems like a spiritual forerunner of a producer like SOPHIE

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there's nothing "wrong" with Tim Reaper etc

they're a credible facsimile I guess. although you can tell them apart from classic jungle just by sound; for one, the drums are too clean.

I do ask, what's the point? there doesn't need to be one besides, as you say, enjoying it

but without a point, they make no case for themselves of themselves, outside the original

if a thing's only reason for existing is existing, what's the point

and they'll always be ersatz. they lack the undefinable part of what makes jungle proper so special. you can't just add the various parts up and get the same whole.

I don't need more jungle just to have more jungle. if you or anyone else is into it though, great.

RWY

Yet another example of a good, constructive thread derailed by third's sophomoric marxism and insistence on answering questions nobody is asking. Well done mate

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
most "conceptronica" proper things self-evidently have some kind of theory, so a praxis model makes sense

it's probably true that retroactively applying it to older dance music isn't fair

i.e. as the article says the "politics" of dance music have traditionally been implicit, bar the occasional thing like UR (and even that mostly unrefined beyond an air of militancy)

"concept" would have been a better word than theory wrt older dance music, albeit like politics there may be implicit theory to some degree

i.e. "Is It All Over My Face" doesn't have theory in the way conceptronica does

but it is about libidinous energy, sexuality and gender identity (i.e. there both Male + Female versions of the song) and implicitly the underlying power dynamics

and in that way it definitely seems like a spiritual forerunner of a producer like SOPHIE

self-evident liberal truisms aren't theory. by that logic I could make theoretical jump up.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's nothing "wrong" with Tim Reaper etc

they're a credible facsimile I guess. although you can tell them apart from classic jungle just by sound; for one, the drums are too clean.

I do ask, what's the point? there doesn't need to be one besides, as you say, enjoying it

but without a point, they make no case for themselves of themselves, outside the original

if a thing's only reason for existing is existing, what's the point

and they'll always be ersatz. they lack the undefinable part of what makes jungle proper so special. you can't just add the various parts up and get the same whole.

I don't need more jungle just to have more jungle. if you or anyone else is into it though, great.

Well, god only exists because it exists. no point to gods existence, to impute a point would make god a lesser being, demiurgical. similar with xen perception. no point for its existence. yet these have been a major player in world civilisation for at least 8000 years. not sure what your point is here? of course its not the original, it couldn't ever be, but music as surrogate sociology is a bit of a beatnik preoccupation isn't it? I don't really care for it. In previous eras, before capitalist industrialisation, contemporary music could be contemporary for 50-100 years. to me, free jazz and 60s musique concrete is still artistically/conceptually, still *contemporary* music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yet another example of a good, constructive thread derailed by third's sophomoric marxism and insistence on answering questions nobody is asking. Well done mate

I mean you can think that, I'm not here to indoctrinate you, if you want that go hang out with Ash Sarkar. but you haven't even contributed anything, instead just barged in. I mean, did you not even take the time to read that bit where I tipped my hat to Matt for making a constructive criticism of the counter-culture, from the right? clearly not, because your attempt here was to bully me for returning.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if you want undergraduate marxism, go and talk to the people in conceptronica. that's exactly the point me and Simon have been making. it's superficial anticapitalism. the social form determines the music not the other way around. go and organise a strike otherwise you'll be in the same bed with them. enjoy the sex.

RWY

It's just irritating and disheartening to see, time after time, threads that are developing and moving towards some kind of genuine realisation and comprehension, lose their momentum and become bogged down in exactly the kind of dialogue you've had with Padraig over the past couple of pages.

I'm not trying to bully you, I just think that all this marxist/communist ideology that you feel, for whatever reason, the need to shoehorn into every discussion and use as a reference point/explanation for literally everything, isn't really helping anyone and is actually holding you back from your true contributory potential on the forum. Honestly, I realise it must be difficult for you, but just try and follow Luka's suggestions and think through the themes and subjects discussed on here without resorting to relying on the crit-theory bollocks.