Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are We Bored?

what i heard on the radio some weeks ago is that apparently boredom can be good too. some old egyptian invented the sundial on accident when he was bored and stared at the shadow of a stick-like object. noticing it was moving as time past by. i thought it was a nice story but i couldn't verify it.

It is often said that boredom is healthy but I don't know if they're talking about this kind of boredom. The epistemological vs she ontologial boring. The lack of interesting things around you vs the lack of ability to find anything interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    i sometimes think i missed a trick not becoming a food critic. i could have been Jonathan Gold (RIP). He started out as a music writer, for Spin. they made a film about him - there's no rock critic, not even Lester Bangs you can say that about.

actually Gold's interest in LA street food, obscure Asian restaurants with no decor as such, but ferociously authentic, hardcore-spicy, alarming-proteins and bits of the animal body (listed as "intestines" or "blood-cubes" or "gizzards" on the menu, not even some old-timey terms like tripe or chitlins, just straight up clinical 'this is what you be eating' - intestintes, blood ).... it's not unlike my own music aesthetic really

4. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

With this veritable infinitude of available material, it's easy to understand why people yearn for coherent movements. To make sense of it, to order it and organize the meaning of it. A fragmented totality of raw data flooding in, and flooding out, leaving not much lasting trace on the earth beneath it. No streams forming, no rivers building, only a swamp.

I thought anxiety was the affect of the age, not boredom. Maybe they're collapsing into one another.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    I thought anxiety was the affect of the age, not boredom. Maybe they're collapsing into one another.
    Everyone's now bored of being permanently anxious.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    actually that is a genuine trend of the last decade or so - young people being more invested in interesting food, strange beers, saki, etc etc than culture-culture.
    r
    But this is culture-culture for the next generation,no? I dont get it, and find it impoverished, but there's an emotional or anti-emotional investment there

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Everyone's now bored of being permanently anxious.
    I agree, it's a creative numbing

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    But this is culture-culture for the next generation,no? I dont get it, and find it impoverished, but there's an emotional or anti-emotional investment there
    It's the reason choon of the day has been definitively and permanently supplanted by dinner of the day.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

A lot of you are talking about boredom when you mean depression aren't you? Or at least a boredom that arises from depression. I mean, there is a difference between (what I might call) normal boredom, which is when you have nothing interesting to do but when something comes along that is interesting you will snap it up and it will alleviate that boredom; and the boredom of depression in which you are bored of everything even those things you haven't done or even heard of and nothing will alleviate it, other than the depression itself leaving.
    The first is a disappointment with externals, the second is probably internal isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's the reason choon of the day has been definitively and permanently supplanted by dinner of the day.
    Needs more instagram links tho

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

I sometimes wonder whether Brexit was the result of chronic vitamin d deficiency on the part of an entire nation.

perhaps there is subtle distinction between ennui and boredom

ennui being more like the internal thing (nothing could possibly interest me in this state) and boredom more like objective deficiency of stimuli in the surrounding environment (incl. culture environment)

but i dunno, maybe in French ennui just means boredom

not read Pessoa The Book of Disquiet but there are some passages in it on boredom that are very good in the same sort of mode Luke has been doing here - it's where he talks about "nostalgia for the future" as this ache that rends him apart almost physically, a sort of anywhere-but-here / absolute-elsewhere-take-me-please-ASAP sensation

I've got that book. I got put off reading quotes from it though. He sounded like someone on tumblr, some of them were excruciating.

I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post: